Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's lunch break for? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524229)

mbillie1 10-16-2007 01:53 PM

Re: What\'s lunch break for?

I thought this went without saying, but... masturbate furiously in the vacant offices of your coworkers.

solids 10-16-2007 02:10 PM

One of my superiors used to take long lunchbreaks, claiming he was going to the gym (which irked a lot of coworkers). It turns out he was instead banging his mistress behind his wife's back.

DarrenX 10-16-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
working through lunch is pretty standard for lots of people I would imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that too. I'd ask those people why? Sure, I'd guess a small percentage love their jobs and don't want to leave them for a second, but the majority don't. To impress the boss? It's possible, if that's what impresses your boss. To get ahead/stay ahead/keep from falling behind? Possible, but a poor way to live, IMO.

tuq 10-16-2007 02:20 PM

Darren,

If your schedule dictates that you work until a certain time and your schedule allows for a lunch, then I totally agree that you should take it, if for no other reason than to decompress.

The gym isn't nearby for you, so latch onto a book or something. I remember ten years ago back in my fixed schedule days I read Infinite Jest every day at lunch and it was an awesome break from the tedium of my job. Aside from this I'm not sure how many other serious answers there could be.

I remember one of the women I worked with would sit in the break room and just stare straight ahead. That was her lunch. No reading, no doing anything constructive or enjoyable, just stare. At the time it annoyed the hell out of me for some reason, but in retrospect if it gave her a chance to zone out and clear her mind then I suppose it wasn't a bad idea.

ACG2x 10-16-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my superiors used to take long lunchbreaks, claiming he was going to the gym (which irked a lot of coworkers). It turns out he was instead banging his mistress behind his wife's back.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL, as soon as I got to the word "claiming", I absolutely knew how the post would end.

liquidboss 10-16-2007 02:56 PM

If I don't eat lunch on my lunch I'm usually taking a nap on the couch or in my car. Sometimes I sit and watch TV, basically anything to get my mind off work for a little while is good.

Taking a walk is nice, but not very easy to do without rain gear this time of year in Seattle. I don't often do this as my work allows anyone to take a "buddy walk" where you can leave for up to 30 mins any time during the day for a walk. Why waste my lunch when I can just take another paid break for a walk?

DarrenX 10-16-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I don't eat lunch on my lunch I'm usually taking a nap on the couch or in my car. Sometimes I sit and watch TV, basically anything to get my mind off work for a little while is good.

Taking a walk is nice, but not very easy to do without rain gear this time of year in Seattle. I don't often do this as my work allows anyone to take a "buddy walk" where you can leave for up to 30 mins any time during the day for a walk. Why waste my lunch when I can just take another paid break for a walk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. Technically, our lunch break is 30 minutes, and two other 15 minute breaks are allowed throughout the day (I believe these are required by law?) Most people take it as a 1 hour lunch break.

liquidboss 10-16-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. Technically, our lunch break is 30 minutes, and two other 15 minute breaks are allowed throughout the day (I believe these are required by law?) Most people take it as a 1 hour lunch break.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's pretty standard. I take an hour unpaid lunch and 2 paid 15 min breaks whenever I want to during the day. I can also sign a piece of paper and get another paid 30 min break to go on a walk. It's strange I agree, but I like it in the summer.

Case Closed 10-16-2007 03:42 PM

A mid day 15 minute nap has shown to improve productivity for the rest of the day.

diddyeinstein 10-16-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A mid day 15 minute nap has shown to improve productivity for the rest of the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how do you wake back up?

OP, I eat lunch and watch Sportscenter.