Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Main Event-- has the sport jumped the shark?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523365)

supafrey 10-15-2007 07:18 PM

Re: Main Event-- has the sport jumped the shark??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i counted three different players who went all-in for their tournament lives on draws. with millions of chips. Unreal.

ZOMG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Norman Chad really deserves a lot of credit for giving us one of the best ways to identify a bad poker player. Albeit, not quite in the way he intended to.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and "raising chips".

Jack Bando 10-15-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lacked the class of hachem and danneman

[/ QUOTE ]

I chuckled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking 05 Hachem or current Hachem?

jjshabado 10-15-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i counted three different players who went all-in for their tournament lives on draws. with millions of chips. Unreal.

ZOMG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Norman Chad really deserves a lot of credit for giving us one of the best ways to identify a bad poker player. Albeit, not quite in the way he intended to.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends. Often it's correct to go all-in on a draw for thousands of chips, but for millions of chips? Come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone offers you 10000:1 odds, you take it!

yjbrewer 10-15-2007 08:20 PM

We need more Humberto. i believe that means chark in spanish.

Hemsta83 10-15-2007 08:31 PM

chaaaaaaaaaark

Ganjasaurus Rex 10-15-2007 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chark is hongry...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Albert Moulton 10-15-2007 11:28 PM

I enjoyed the entire WSOP series.

I thought they picked good hands to spotlight. I liked the commentators. I'm not such a fan of the personal stories, but I could tolerate them.

And as for the antics at the final table, I thought they behaved like people playing for huge sums of money the likes of which they'd never imagined possible before getting to that final table where the blinds were big enough and the stacks even enough that it could have gone any number of ways. At some point the end of a tournament boils down to aggression and luck. And it was nice that the most aggressive ended up getting the most lucky. Imagine that.

masterblaker 10-16-2007 09:47 AM

I haven't watched the ME since Raymer one. I simply can't stand the way espn does the show, all-in, all-in, all-in. No running chip counts, and sometimes it only shows half a hand.

The B 10-16-2007 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lacked the class of hachem and danneman

[/ QUOTE ]

"pass the sugar" *** slams cards w/ nut flush ***

Win.by.TKo 10-16-2007 10:04 AM

I found the final two shows unwatchable as well. Hachem's supporters ushered in the overzealous patriotic spirit to the final table, which ESPN chose to emphasize. That combined with the constant prayer had me finding something else to watch.

Simply put, real poker fans will have to go elsewhere for their poker shows. Real poker ability or strategy are primarily ignored. We are not the target audience for ESPN's WSOP shows.

ESPN, as you know, will re-air these during their many holes in their schedules over their 'family of networks.'
Therefore, their main goal is to make it interesting for the typical TV surfer, not for the aspiring poker players.