Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pictures of my new baby horse (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520359)

CORed 10-11-2007 04:29 PM

Re: Pictures of my new baby horse

I'm not really a horse person, but here's what I know:

Stallion: Male horse.
Mare: Female horse.
Gelding: Neutered male horse (no balls).
Colt: Baby male horse.
Filly: Baby female horse.

IggyWH 10-11-2007 04:35 PM

Glad you got a new horse. It was a bummer to see the thread where the old one died after you were so excited when it was born.

Eurotrash 10-11-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Horses reach adult height around 3 or 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

approximately how many hands would this be?

KittyKat 10-11-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad you got a new horse. It was a bummer to see the thread where the old one died after you were so excited when it was born.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys. Losing Kylie... it was like someone scooped out all of my insides and just left a giant gaping hole. It was the most horrible thing I've ever been through.

Getting Dia was like getting sewn back together.

peachy 10-12-2007 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the type of horse [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

By-Tor 10-12-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the type of horse [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhh crap, hide the horse, peachy's horny again...

4 High 10-12-2007 12:28 PM

Why are so many Horses castrated? Is it like with Dogs and Cats?

KittyKat 10-12-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, it's more of a safety issue. Castration is a very simple surgery, cheap and non harmful to the animal. Non castrated horses, stallions, have a possibility of being so hormonal they can hurt themselves or others. They do stupid things trying to get to a mare that can hurt them or hurt their handlers. I have personally seen people I know get severally injured as the result of dealing with stallions.

Imagine the brain set of a 16 year old boy, sexually. Then imagine he weighs 1500 lbs, is very strong, and has no concept of self control.

Geldings on the other hand, are on the whole fairly easy to deal with. They don't fight as much, and most have been castrated at such a young age that they never hit any kind of sexual puberty. They don't react to mares in heat. It makes them much easier (and thus cheaper) to handle, so more people have the possibility of owning them.

CORed 10-12-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... the brain set of a 16 year old boy ... no concept of self control ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Redundant.

bottomset 10-12-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, it's more of a safety issue. Castration is a very simple surgery, cheap and non harmful to the animal. Non castrated horses, stallions, have a possibility of being so hormonal they can hurt themselves or others. They do stupid things trying to get to a mare that can hurt them or hurt their handlers. I have personally seen people I know get severally injured as the result of dealing with stallions.

Imagine the brain set of a 16 year old boy, sexually. Then imagine he weighs 1500 lbs, is very strong, and has no concept of self control.

Geldings on the other hand, are on the whole fairly easy to deal with. They don't fight as much, and most have been castrated at such a young age that they never hit any kind of sexual puberty. They don't react to mares in heat. It makes them much easier (and thus cheaper) to handle, so more people have the possibility of owning them.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah also you can have geldings together(or with mares), stallions don't get along with other stallions

horses are awesome