Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   I don't know where the donk convention was, but ($10, 77 in MP1) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=517826)

ettorek 10-08-2007 04:36 AM

Re: I don\'t know where the donk convention was, but ($10, 77 in MP1)

He looks like he call with something like JTs/T9s/99+ and hit the flop: just fold is not playable no more.
Agree with you when you say that it hurts, expecially if is the 10th time you saw this move against you....

Rocco 10-08-2007 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just that this line is used ALL THE TIME. It's really the new donk play to throw position players off. I see this HU all the time, I see it in tourneys. It's call OOP, check, and then min raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not the only one who has noticed this. In fact, it's hard to miss, because it's so frequently used. It can't be monsters very often, but every time I decide to shove, I'm up against a monster. Barring reads, I base my decision on stack sizes and flop texture. Maybe, I'm wrong but I like a 3-bet shove better if stacks were a bit deeper. He's getting pretty good odds for a call. Also, board is somewhat connected around those hands that people often call with pre, but I'm not sure if he really hit or just using the board against you. I think a fold is in order here, though...

betgo 10-08-2007 05:00 PM

Villain's play is not that terrible.

This is a flop you are likely to get checkraised on, so I usually would check behind with 77.

hamnegger 10-08-2007 07:32 PM

barry i dislike the c-bet (and you know i respect your play you are a better player than i)you maneuvered yourself into losing this hand even though you may be ahead. here is why: 910 easily fits the calling hands that could hit tp 2nd pair or a draw all of which can play the hand strong against you. checking stinks too bc you give a free card but really what hands are folding here? baby pairs ? you have them beat anyway. qj is not folding . kj may even make a play here. the miniraise irks me too. its like the pitcher who wont throw you a fastball. c'mon you pu#$%y challenge me with a man sized raise!!! problem is this miniraise confuses good players (see barry lyndon) and pisses em off too. if you checked behind you can decide what to do on the turn if he checks or bets. mostly id just c-fold but if that sixth sense said "im good" i might call or....miniraise!!!

BarryLyndon 10-08-2007 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
barry i dislike the c-bet (and you know i respect your play you are a better player than i)you maneuvered yourself into losing this hand even though you may be ahead. here is why: 910 easily fits the calling hands that could hit tp 2nd pair or a draw all of which can play the hand strong against you. checking stinks too bc you give a free card but really what hands are folding here? baby pairs ? you have them beat anyway. qj is not folding . kj may even make a play here. the miniraise irks me too. its like the pitcher who wont throw you a fastball. c'mon you pu#$%y challenge me with a man sized raise!!! problem is this miniraise confuses good players (see barry lyndon) and pisses em off too. if you checked behind you can decide what to do on the turn if he checks or bets. mostly id just c-fold but if that sixth sense said "im good" i might call or....miniraise!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a strong analysis, thanks guys.

Barry