Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   beginners questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516155)

Wolfram 10-05-2007 06:08 PM

Re: beginners questions

[ QUOTE ]

Why is it easier to multi-table in NL? In NL you have to enter the amount you bet each time. In limit you only have to click.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's because in NL you play fewer hands and make much fewer decisions. You fold more preflop, and you fold way more on the other streets. The decisions are almost always much more clear cut. In limit you're playing more hands preflop, and you have to think about each and every move (should I bet/3bet, c/r, c/r/cap, what's my equity, what's the chances hes bluffing etc etc). 100bb deep NL is mostly about preflop and the flop. After that you've very often gone all-in or an all-in is inevitable.

[ QUOTE ]

I was told that in limit you mainly play your own cards, whereas in NL you mainly play your opponent. In that case you need to pay a lot of attention to your opponents tendencies, how you are perceived and adjust to different stack sizes. Isn't this difficult when 6-tabling?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is very hard (almost impossible) to bluff someone of a hand in lhe. That's why you always have to evaluate the value of your hand given the board and the action. To do this properly you have to put your opponents on a range by observing how they play and what line they're taking and then figuring out what your equity is vs that range and then figure out what the optimal line is.

In NL you can sometimes take somebody off their hand with the worse hand, but this isn't really that common in todays aggro games. It's certainly doable though, but you have to be really careful, especially in small stakes. Most of your value comes from betting your good hands for value, and surprizingly from inducing bad bluffs. There's very little money in trying to get people to fold the best hand.

So you need good reads to play both games well.

NL you can play readless, but then you have to give up on your hands a lot and basically just nutpeddle (setmine). I can get good reads on the tables in NL if I play 4 at once. If I add 2 more it becomes a bit more shaky. At LHE I can get good reads for 2 tables (maybe 3 if I'm super focused). 4 and I start losing track of hands I'm not playing because the action is so fast.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you also have an opinion about Sit 'n Go's?

[/ QUOTE ]
SnG's are a solved game. I used to play them exclusively more than a year ago, but they started getting tougher. After I quit I would peek over to the stt forums and find people complaining that the games were getting unbeatable.

I'm not sure how profitable they are right now, but your edge is pretty razor thin as soon as you play vs someone who understands the basic strategy (fold everything except premium early, push everything when you have good FE late when stacks get ridiculously short). It's really doesn't interest me at all anymore and I don't think I'll ever play another SnG again.