Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Poker winnings on resume (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=514303)

chisness 10-03-2007 05:43 PM

Re: Poker winnings on resume

Really?

I remember Vault guides saying this is normal and don't think my career office objected to it.

bxb 10-03-2007 07:31 PM

On my application to a financial trading company how much I made that year. I already knew they were interested in poker players though, so obviously it helped.

In general it probably depends on what job you are applying for. Also, it's prolly not helpful to include if you couldn't make a decent living off it.

PRE 10-03-2007 07:55 PM

Unless you're interviewing for trading positions, I would leave it off. IB is a field that doesn't require a whole lot of intelligence and employers will fail to see the connection between poker and math.

goofyballer 10-03-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Putting interests on a resume is generally very stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

My resume said "reliable leadoff hitter and outfielder for any corporate softball team" in the "other" section and it was well-received by everyone that interviewed me.

catalyst 10-03-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Putting interests on a resume is generally very stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

My resume said "reliable leadoff hitter and outfielder for any corporate softball team" in the "other" section and it was well-received by everyone that interviewed me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see this working in some spots, and totally turning someone off in other spots - I would guess people who didn't receive it well wouldn't bother with an interview.

Regardless, I think the other poster was referring to the:

Interests: Hiking, basketball, interwebs, etc. etc. crap that people throw on unprof. resumes.

Chisness, I think it really depends on where you are trying to get a job. At reach firms, it might be a good way of setting you apart and getting an interview. In situations where your credentials are good enough without poker, I would opt to avoid the topic if possible - atleast on your resume, there may be times to bring it up during an interview, depending on the interviewer.

chisness 10-03-2007 09:07 PM

catalyst,

I don't think an Interests section as you described really matters one way or another. It's something interviewers might bring up and I'm sure it's ignored otherwise.

I'm actually kind of torn on whether these are reaches or not because

1) they don't hire many people for full time (most come from internships)
2) my GPA is slightly above the 3.5 cutoff (though I'm majoring in engineering + econ which will hopefully help some)
3) no summer internships

tabako 10-03-2007 09:39 PM

On this note, does anybody have advice on how to fill out a first resume?

I am a good student, but have limited work experience and no internships. Putting interests on a resume was discussed earlier, and was generally looked down upon. I am working on getting my first resume together to apply for an internship next summer, but I really don't know what I am going to do to fill a full page.

-zero- 10-03-2007 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am a good student, but have limited work experience and no internships. Putting interests on a resume was discussed earlier, and was generally looked down upon. I am working on getting my first resume together to apply for an internship next summer, but I really don't know what I am going to do to fill a full page.

[/ QUOTE ]

Volunteering.

miss_set_flopper 10-04-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Volunteering.

[/ QUOTE ]

learn a new language or computer skills on your own and put it on resume

En Passant 10-04-2007 09:45 AM

It's best to have your resume customized to the position you are applying for. For example, having half of a page dedicated to your computer skills when applying for a paralegal position is a little too much.

Go to the website of the company you are applying for and try gearing your resume to match their needs.

I would put interests on a resume if I didn't have a lot of work experience and needed to fill up some space. I think it is best to leave off interests though if you can. Another good way to take up space is to list the awards you have received over the years. Also, I think the most important things employers are looking for is work experience. You need to stand out from other people applying for the same postion, and doing some internships is the best way.