Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Should I call with my 4, 6 suited? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513388)

Hipsdontlie69 10-01-2007 08:25 PM

Re: Should I call with my 4, 6 suited?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in Cali also and I play 4/8. If you really play the hands you listed to a raise, you have a large leak. I'll say it one more time and then I'm done with your thread. Read SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already read that book, I actually follow it, I dont play offsuit low cards on the button even when there's so much money on the pot but lately been encountering a lot of loose players that raises pot for no reason and when they do raise everybody calls them and since I'm on the button I sometimes join in when I have 78s or higher.

Reason why I posted this thread is to get other opinion, I want to know how high suited connectors u play on the button on a raised family pot.

kyzerjose 10-02-2007 08:36 AM

The "biblical" passages of SSHE are often quoted. However....even one of the authors suggests evaluating leaks in a practical manner.
Frequecy & magnitude.
OP - Take a look at the linked article and related internal links.
As to your question, "when should I .....?", it depends. To say "never" is incorrect, as is "always". What sort of player is UTG? What about the players in between you and UTG. How about the blinds? How's your post-flop play?
Think!

Hyperrrprank 10-02-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure there are so much money that I can get out if I dont hit my straight or flush, much like pocket deuce.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will hit your straight or flush infrequently enough that your expected return is negative. To say that another way, if you consistently pay two bets with this (or similar) hands in this spot, even if you hit a straight or flush every once in a while you will lose money over the long term.

There may be a particular situation where this is ok, but without very specific reasons (much more than "sometimes low limit players raise for no reason") this is a bad call.

TheCount212 10-02-2007 12:29 PM

64s is at or near the bottom of playable hands for a tight player (-0.08 EV). With a raiser and FOUR cold callers in front of you, the following can be deduced:

1) You're at a table of feebs
2) Your implied odds are great
3) You have position

Sometimes it's good to mix up your play. Would I normally call two cold with 64s? Absolutely not. But rules were made to be broken, and I can't envision a better set of circumstances where you could stick your neck out a bit.

So yeah, I'll say it. Here, this table, this situation, I call the two cold. But the flop is going to have to hit me nice and hard...

fishyak 10-02-2007 12:31 PM

Hips - u, me, Scar, Frond, Hyper... ALL play 4/8 @HG. Hyper tends to play higher.

Here is a previously not discussed reason not to call the raise; the possibility of a 3 bet behind you and now you are getting sucked into a 3 or 4 bet with these speculative hands where you needed to be in with ONE BET.

And another reason that your hand isn't as good as small pairs: Small pairs hitting a set usually won't run into an overset. You could hit your flush and lose to a bigger one far more easily. Also, live, pairs have jackpot possibilities that your hand does not.

I admit it looks tempting to play this one. Patience and discipline are your friends, don't do it.

Raised like this I might play T9s+ and its only that low because you are on the Button.

Bob T. 10-02-2007 12:43 PM

I wouldn't. I probably would complete in the BB though.

Bob T. 10-02-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reason why I posted this thread is to get other opinion, I want to know how high suited connectors u play on the button on a raised family pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok that's a different question.

In most live games, I wouldn't think twice about playing JTs, T9s probably is the border, but depending on the players, T8s, and I have a sick weak spot for 97s. I usually wouldn't go lower than that.

A really sick weak spot for 97 suited.

So bad, that one time I played it, got there on the river, of course, and a friend that was paying me off said, 'WTF is it with you and 97sooted?'

fishyak 10-02-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't. I probably would complete in the BB though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Yads 10-02-2007 01:07 PM

46 is too loose, but I call here every time with no gap connectors 56s+. I'd also call with 8Ts and maybe with 97s especially if the blinds are loose. We're going to have a 6 or 7 way pot and are unlikely to be 3 bet.

Gen Sterling 10-07-2007 02:47 AM

somewhat the same

I hope my question is on par with the OP here. Played for 2 hours tonight at 3-6 B&M. I went up $45 first hour, and lost it back the second hour after running in to some better hands. Had to leave so I didn't get a chance to get back up.

This was a loose game, but very passive. I think I was the only one raising PF.

Anyway, in EP, I'm mucking suited connectors: 23-9T, but will limp w/ TJ+. Hadn't really noticed too many missed straights or flushes, but I seen a few draws that would have probably hurt my stack if I had called PF. BUT, once I had 8J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the flop hit 3 spades, AK high. At showdown, the winning hand was two pair. So, my question, what's the opinion about LIMPING in EP with suited connectors and suited 3 gaps in passive games? I see that Lee Jones doesn't recommend any SC in EP, but I'm kinda guessing that his book is written for the complete beginner. As the OP said, I can always get away from the hand after the flop. I think I"ve been playing enough to be able to limp here. NOTE: the table is very passive but loose.

The type of hands I'm thinking of are: K9, Q8, J7 (all suited)

Can an experienced player get away with limping in this type situation over the long run?

Thanks