Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   1-2 preflop question.....can I call here from the BB with 92s? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513223)

One Outer 10-01-2007 05:31 PM

Re: 1-2 preflop question.....can I call here from the BB with 92s?

I don't think that's too tight. It depends on how strong your post flop game it. The simple mathematical question is easy. 9:1, closing the action, suited= call.

Scarmiglio 10-01-2007 05:54 PM

So I take it you would limp this on the button after a bunch of callers too? Of course you wouldn't! And on the button you actually have position unlike in this situation. Guess what: bad position + bad cards = easy fold.

One Outer 10-01-2007 06:08 PM

I can't argue with that. Good point.

existential_dred 10-02-2007 02:47 AM

what kind of odds would it take to play 92 suited? let's say you are in the small blind, and the big blind is enourmously passive and is giving every indication that he/she intends to decline the option to raise. if you have seven callers in front of you, do you limp in for half a small bet at 17:1? i do.

i am playing a 4/8 game with a $4 rake these days, (jackpots and tips cancel each other out???) so i generally will pay to see the flop if there are 5-7 limpers, but that is only when the player on my left either telegraphs their intention to check or raise pre-flop or is highly passive. i may be inclined to play these marginal small blind hands also to avoid a table image of being too disciplined. folding your unraised small blind repeatedly is a good way to send that message (to anyone who is paying attention).

BTW, you have about a ~4% chance of flopping trips or two pair with any two unmatched suited cards. compared to the ~6% of making a flush. many of those hands will be counterfeited by the board (four flush on the board, pair on the board).

Bob T. 10-02-2007 03:23 AM

If you decide to fold here, that is fine, and it is your choice.

In this case, your position isn't as bad as it looks. You are closing the action, which you wouldn't be doing on the button, and most likely the postflop action will start to your immediate left, so you might effectively be acting last on the flop. I call here unless I am up against very good players. If the players are horrible, I call getting 5-1.

Oink 10-02-2007 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call getting 5-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me 2.

Browsing the various limit forums here on 2p2 this question comes up pretty often.

"How good should our odds be to call xxs?"

Then you see the same retarded arguments.

"Your hand sucks and you are OOP so fold"

Poker is a game of math. On 2p2 the goal is to analyse the game from a scientific POW. Anyone using that kind of argumentation in a "real" scientific world will be fired immediately or just ruin his career. I could also say: "Fold AA UTG. Your OOP and your hands sucks"

Back to the hand. I call 92s getting 5:1. Getting 9:1 with bad players in the pot I am also calling a bunch of off suited junk like T7o and 64o.

I cant prove its +EV but my results in PT seem to suggest that it is +EV by quite a nice margin. Lifetime I am up several 100 BB's calling suited junk getting 5:1 or better.

People fold too much.

Oh and the "call with the same hands you would have limped with in late position" argument is retarded as well. Anyone who cant see why sucks at poker and odds.

Scarmiglio 10-02-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then you see the same retarded arguments.
"Your hand sucks and you are OOP so fold"

Poker is a game of math. On 2p2 the goal is to analyse the game from a scientific POW. Anyone using that kind of argumentation in a "real" scientific world will be fired immediately or just ruin his career. I could also say: "Fold AA UTG. Your OOP and your hands sucks"

Back to the hand. I call 92s getting 5:1. Getting 9:1 with bad players in the pot I am also calling a bunch of off suited junk like T7o and 64o.

I cant prove its +EV but my results in PT seem to suggest that it is +EV by quite a nice margin. Lifetime I am up several 100 BB's calling suited junk getting 5:1 or better.

People fold too much.

Oh and the "call with the same hands you would have limped with in late position" argument is retarded as well. Anyone who cant see why sucks at poker and odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, I guess I suck at poker and odds and am retarded to boot. Thanks for that. Funny how SSHE advocates exactly the same thing. I suppose you're better at poker than Sklansky? Perhaps you should write a book and enlighten us. You sound like a real genius.

NoSetNoBet 10-02-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could also say: "Fold AA UTG. Your OOP and your hands sucks"

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure could, but then you expose yourself as a retard.

KenProspero 10-02-2007 02:54 PM

Pe-flop -- depends on your style. I fold this, but think it's probably a pretty close call, depending on what I think of the other players at the table.

KitCloudkicker 10-02-2007 03:57 PM

i lol@ this thread.

OP it depends how comfortable you are at playing a hand like this OOP postflop. fwiw I would call, and I bet that most of the regulars in this forum would be +EV with this hand in this spot as well, including scarmiglio.

However, before you call, you should have a plan for the following:

1) what do i do if i flop a flush draw?
2) what do I do if i flop two pair?
3) what do I do if i flop top pair?

etc. dont go play this hand if you're clueless postflop.