Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Buying a new Honda, extended warranty or no? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512471)

A.P. Keaton 10-01-2007 12:41 AM

Re: Buying a new Honda, extended warranty or no?

You should NEVER buy an extended warranty on a new car. It is under a manufacturer's warranty, which is usually 3 years or 36,000 miles. Selling all the extra crap is how finance managers make money. Almost everything they try to sell you for a new car is a scam (I'm a lawyer who used to represent car dealerships and work with finance managers). You will probably not need to put any money into a Honda for 5-6 years. You can buy the extended warranty at any time after your original warranty expires, but you'll probably never even want one. I would only consider it if I was buying a used car with high mileage.

Freakin 10-01-2007 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not get the extended warranty. You have the factory warranty, plus Honda's are great cars to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... I'd say if you get full value out of your extended warranty on a Honda, you're doing something wrong....

entertainme 10-01-2007 10:28 AM

I bought a new 2005 Honda Odyssey with extended warranty to 100K. I paid cash, so I wasn't financing anything.

I put on about 25K miles a year, so I blow through the normal warranty pretty quickly.

I did just have to have the fan replaced at about 50K miles so I got some value out of it.

I'd concede it might not be the best move, but I mostly don't want the hassle if the tranny goes or something. Also, anything happens up to 100K, no doubt it's going straight to the dealer for original parts.

4_2_it 10-01-2007 10:29 AM

Don't buy the warranty.

AceLuby 10-01-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't buy the warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, Hondas run forever w/ regular maintenence.

ZBTHorton 10-01-2007 01:50 PM

You spend extra money buying an imported car b/c of their reliability. Why would you then spend MORE money getting a warranty? Don't get it.

mrpurple 10-01-2007 03:35 PM

I have a 2007si and didn't get the warranty. If you do decide you want it there are a few online dealers that will sell it to you practically at cost. Its like a third of what you dealer charges. Google Honda warranty to find then. You have until 5000 miles to add it. Also, if you get one, only get a genuine Honda one. These third party companies often don't last long enough to honor your claim.