Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Noob linux q's (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509569)

_dave_ 09-26-2007 10:53 PM

Re: Noob linux q\'s

You should not have to pay to reinstall windows. All you really need is the CD-KEY, which will likely be stickied to the side of your computer tower.

EDIT for content: Norton Ghost is an excellent product for backing up an entire hard drive.... probably the only Norton product I am happy to have paid for [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

IRuleYouHard 09-26-2007 11:37 PM

[noob]
how can I install XP with no CD's? Can I download the iso files and write those to a CD for installing like linux?
[/noob]

IRuleYouHard 09-27-2007 11:36 PM

OK I jacked it all up and now its trying to boot from the partition with no windows OS. How do you guys chose which you want to boot from? I'm handicapped so cut me a break.

pvn 09-28-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you try it out with a Live CD first? Don't start with Fedora, start with something user-friedly like ubuntu.com

Download their live CD and you can boot right off that into linux to play around

[/ QUOTE ]

What's unfriendly about fedora?

pvn 09-28-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to echo the Ubuntu over Fedora sentiment, too. Fedora is sort of a testbed for stuff that's going to be later included into Red Hat, while on the other hand, Ubuntu is much more stable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a myth (the stability part).

Fedora gets bug fixes. Ubuntu doesn't (inbetween releases, that is).

Ubuntu includes binary-only drivers from ATI and NVidia which are notoriously unstable. Fedora includes only the open-source drivers, which are much more stable (no open source developers can fix them since they're closed). You can always add the binary-only drivers if you really want to.

Fedora is not a "test bed". That's what Rawhide is.

Jeff_B 09-28-2007 06:50 PM

My thoughts -

Fedora often does things different then common distros... ie storing files in different places

BACKUP YOUR FILES FIRST JUST IN CASE

UBUNTU is really easy to install and be sure to run
"apt-get update" after you install completely (compare this to windows updates but updates all your files

There is one distro that has a windows .exe for an installer quite nice and easy to set up

might be this? http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/09/07/...ux-in-windows/ (quick google search for wubi)

IRULEYOUHARD - You should have recieved a cd from the place you got the computer. You may be SOL in that regards short of borrowing one from a friend (legal if you use the correct cd key I believe)

If you really want to dual boot, ALWAYS INSTALL XP first then linux.

XP ALWAYS rewrites the entire master boot record and linux is flexible and asks where to install.

Also the best way to learn this type of stuff is total emergence... (I dual booted for 6 months and never learned anything since if something didnt work in linux I just fired up windows).. not sure about Poker software in linux.

daveT 09-28-2007 08:06 PM

I just wiki'ed linux, went to there .org.

What confounding mess. My brain is fried after ten minutes.

What is going on exactly? I take it you start with a base (ubuntu, red hat, fedora, etc). You can build your own, or build from other's by adding on. I like how it is all highly specialized, but it its weird.

You could just take a kernel and make your own OS as well? Make a simple desktop, add mozilla and open office, and....

I have heard of linux, but this stuff blows my mind.

IRuleYouHard 09-28-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this stuff blows my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
2nd...but its pretty cool how everything is open source [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I can understand about 1/4th of it though.