Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   (razz) An observation about low limit razz (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=507663)

SGspecial 09-26-2007 11:32 AM

Re: (razz) An observation about low limit razz

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a quote from Ted Forrest who some consider to be one of the best Razz players anywhere:

"If you are a fundamentally sound player, you will be at a disadvantage to players who really understand Razz.... "

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me where this quote comes from ? I googled it, and the only results are directed to your post.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's from the razz chapter in the Full Tilt strategy guide book. While I don't agree with everything Ted says in there about razz, this quote is spot on.

Praxising 09-26-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a quote from Ted Forrest who some consider to be one of the best Razz players anywhere:

"If you are a fundamentally sound player, you will be at a disadvantage to players who really understand Razz.... "

[/ QUOTE ]Just out of curiosity, could you tell me where this quote comes from ? I googled it, and the only results are directed to your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure - it's from the Full Tilt Strategy Guide Tournament Edition. I don't have a page number, just a lot of notes, but it's the very last thing in that chapter.

The Razz section is about 4 pages (OK maybe 8) but it's an interview type deal with Huck Seed and Ted Forrest. It's short but dense, it really helped my game. I think it said they both have two Razz bracelets a piece.

I also love the last part of what he said:

"Anybody playing basic strategy is going to get crushed by a good poker player. Razz is one of the purest forms of poker because the good players will make the money and the bad players will lose the money. It's a beautiful, beautiful form of poker."

Take that, Norman Chad!

(edited to add: Uh-oh! Shoulda read ahead!)

Praxising 09-26-2007 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can catagorically say both ways work. i've had months where my VP$IP is in the high 30s to low 40s and won. also had a couple of months where my rate was comparable and was playing at around 25% VP%IP.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I just had a session where my VPIP was 11% and I lost every hand I played! (Well, Rusty, that's the end of my 60-80% showdown win run!)

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think the hardest thing about poker is not giving it up. But the worst thing would be to give up poker.

SGspecial 09-27-2007 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I just had a session where my VPIP was 11% and I lost every hand I played! (Well, Rusty, that's the end of my 60-80% showdown win run!)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a huge fan of VPIP %ages ruling your game in razz, but judging on a session by session basis is even worse.

RustyBrooks 09-27-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a huge fan of VPIP %ages ruling your game in razz, but judging on a session by session basis is even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it kind of emphasizes the point - if a few sessions change any stat significantly, you didn't have enough data points to trust the statistic.

RagzMaster 09-27-2007 12:39 PM

These are my numbers from the wcoop razz tourny (that I won). Dont know if these help you, but here they are. These numbers are considerablly tighter then my cash game stats, which of course is because I played 8 sided the whole tourny as opposed to cash games where I average only about 4 opponents per table.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9733/razz1rl5.th.png

RagzMaster 09-27-2007 12:55 PM

and last 2 months of cash games:
(99% are not heads up as I cant stand playing HU razz) [image]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8525/razz2qv5.png[/image]

SGspecial 09-27-2007 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are my numbers from the wcoop razz tourny (that I won). Dont know if these help you, but here they are. These numbers are considerablly tighter then my cash game stats, which of course is because I played 8 sided the whole tourny as opposed to cash games where I average only about 4 opponents per table.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9733/razz1rl5.th.png

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey ragz, congrats. Any observations for the 2p2 studders about this tourney? From your stats, it seems prax has been taking lessons from you on how to win 90% of his showdowns (at least from your last 3 levels)

Praxising 09-27-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RAGZMASTER! My Hero! (prax begins syncophantically chanting "I'm not worthy!" with zenlike intensity)

I was around for most of it (long hours defeated my resolve to watch final table) and as you know - you rock. Congrats on the great win. I know there was a deal, but I don't think anyone was in doubt.

It was really generous of you to post these stats - Esp your cash game ones. tx

Stick around a couple years....I'm comin' for ya! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

prax <--indulging in fantasy at the moment

RagzMaster 09-28-2007 11:36 AM

Thanks guys.

I don't really have anything groundbreaking to say about the tourny, it played pretty much how I thought it would, although I was hoping to do good , I was very surprised to win.

Now the Stud Hi/Lo tourny last night, that's a whole other story. I was shocked to get 11th, seeing as I played my very first hand of it ever in my life yesteday morning for about 20 minutes, losing about 40 cents at the 10c/20c table.