Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Top Chef 9/19 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=505098)

gobbomom 09-20-2007 12:22 PM

Re: Top Chef 9/19

first episode I've watched- totally impressed by Casey and Hung. Either one as winner will be fine, but I'd pick Hung. Can't believe undercooked chicken was served; I would've puked on the spot.

ohgeetee 09-20-2007 12:22 PM

Casey is hot, but Lia is my fav.

I really liked the quickfire. More competitions should be like this, forcing them to use their palette and technique with a hard line of good and bad results.

Aloysius 09-20-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm lost. Seems like you should switch the two dishes - plenty of people don't know sous vide but coq a vin is a pretty common dish.

[/ QUOTE ]

That confused me too - maybe cause I've made coq au vin a couple times (though only once where the chicken didn't turn purple) so had a pretty good feel for what Casey was going for.

I think they made the right choice in eliminating Sarah. I also would like to point out that I correctly called the Top 4 several weeks ago! damn, why is there no where to bet on this thing?

Casey and Hung are the obvious front runners for Top 2, but Brian could sneak in there, and I wouldn't be too surprised. Dale is irritating.

-Al

ElSapo 09-20-2007 12:50 PM

On a side note - Hung's extra 30 minutes was probably the reason he could cook via the sous vide method.

Aloysius 09-20-2007 12:53 PM

El Sapo - have you cooked sous vide method at home before? Is it really that much better sous vide'ing chicken vs. say braising it?

For the ignorant among us (including myself) - sous vide wiki

-Al

ElSapo 09-20-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El Sapo - have you cooked sous vide method at home before? Is it really that much better sous vide'ing chicken vs. say braising it?

For the ignorant among us (including myself) - sous vide wiki

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I've never done it. But traditionally it's a way of bringing foods slowly up to temperature allowing the texture of the food to remain the same and the flavors to meld.

I think it fell out of favor in the 80s when health inspectors cracked down - the necessary equipment (vaccum sealers, precise temperature quipment, ability to maintain a constant temperature) meant many places stopped using it for a while.

Michel Richard has some discussion of home methods in his book "Happy in the Kitchen."

Dids 09-20-2007 01:03 PM

Sapo and Al,

I'll grant you that might be weird. There's a lot of more classic stuff of which I'm not aware, since that wasn't how my family cooked, and most of my knowledge is of new stuff.

bernie 09-20-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They sure are editing Hung to look like the bad guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Compared to earlier in the season Hung is alot more likeable now.

b

bernie 09-20-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I truly believe she is in the final four because of her looks and because the producers want to keep her around for the male audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that were the case, imo, she wouldn't have won as many challenges as she has. She'd be more in Dale's position. If you hear the judges and the people she's serving, they actually do seem to like how she cooks.

b

bernie 09-20-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Casey is hot, but Lia is my fav.

[/ QUOTE ]

A vote here for Camille.

b