Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Low content question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504316)

duck_butter 09-19-2007 09:37 PM

Re: Low content question

[ QUOTE ]
bigger edge doesnt ALWAYS mean lower variance

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Variance by its very nature could be the highest when you have a large edge.

OP: I play mostly live these days, but I still sit regardless of fish present when playing online. If the table is tough, I try to outplay them. Even if you can't expect to have an edge it makes you a better player.

good2cu 09-19-2007 10:20 PM

50% of it or so? If I only have 1-2 10/20-25/50 Tables I can play ill fire up some 3/6-5/10. Only trouble is I now have trouble taking these limits seriously espically if i get stacked at 25/50

DJ Sensei 09-19-2007 11:42 PM

I almost think that if you're on some high stakes tables, playing medium stakes ones is a bad idea EV-wise, unless you're prone to doing stupid stuff when you arent being kept busy by several other tables. the attention you're spending to grind out some loot at the little tables might better be spent getting more precise reads at the ones that really matter.

Melchiades 09-20-2007 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Variance by its very nature could be the highest when you have a large edge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain.

FoldEqu1ty 09-20-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL? Let's say a great TAG has a winrate of 7PTBB/100 in a nice loose juicy game. By incorporating light 4-betting into his game, he can increase his profit a little, say to 7.5PTBB/100, but his variance will go through the roof.

Essentially adding marginally +EV high-variance plays into your game will increase variance.

winningfish 09-20-2007 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, in fact the opposite is often true. Donks that play real loose can often be far more destructive to the win rate than regs that you know how to play against.

jfish 09-20-2007 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL? Let's say a great TAG has a winrate of 7PTBB/100 in a nice loose juicy game. By incorporating light 4-betting into his game, he can increase his profit a little, say to 7.5PTBB/100, but his variance will go through the roof.

Essentially adding marginally +EV high-variance plays into your game will increase variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

it just seems weird since the DEFINITION of variance closely relates it to expected value.

Syntec87 09-20-2007 01:56 PM

Not a HS player at all, but thought Id throw this in...

If you have a higher winrate, and higher variance, you can still have less bad sessions...

like if you have a win rate of 5ptbb/100 with one variance
and slightly higher variance with a winrate of 10 ptbb/100,
its entirely possible that you will have more "breakeven or better" sessions, given the second set of conditions, since variance just measures how often you fall a distance from the mean

Kala1928 09-20-2007 05:31 PM

fish = passive
regular = aggressive
aggressive = more variance
winrate != to do with variance
Your own playstyle and your opponents' playstyles are the main things that affect variance. So generally your LPA fish will result in less variance but occasionally you find these huge lagtard whales who spew a lot and lose even more (generally) but playing against this type has a lot higher variance. As for staying vs standing up, for most players (over 90% of winners in a given limit) its propably better to leave when the table becomes fishless. Regulars dont tend to leave a lot of money on the table.

tmcdmck 09-20-2007 06:15 PM

maniac = super aggressive ATM . . .