Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Band of brothers nuff said... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503995)

oddjob 09-19-2007 07:27 PM

Re: Band of brothers nuff said...

i can't pick any favorite episode, scene or character. they are all so different and great in their own way.

one character that i think was done well, to represent the entire experience, and company was malarkey. fun loving, care free and kind of a jackass to start, to a weathered veteran that lost too many friends, and seen too much, yet struggled on, to become a very important piece of the company.

it amazes me the difference in characters and backgrounds that they all are, come together and die for one another, fight with one another, and experience something we will never experience, be it good or bad.

i love this mini-series, and agree no movie has ever topped it.

i heard rumors they are making one for the pacific war. anyone know any more about this?

Myrtle 09-19-2007 07:30 PM

My father was in the 101st and in that company.

He passed away before the series aired, so we never got to talk about it.

In real life, he really never talked much about it, and you could tell that he really didn't want to.

However, every great once in a while when the stars, sun, and moon aligned in the right way, he would spin a story or two.

The one that I remember the most was the night he spent in the forest in Bastogne when the 101st moved in to bolster the rag-tag units that were there.

He described the merciless brutality of the constant shelling by the German 88's in detail.

.....How some of the shells would hit the tops of the trees and detonate, raining down schrapnel and wood splinters upon them, and the particular frightening screaming sound they made as they were coming in.

.....How they bloodied their hands trying to did deeper foxholes but couldn't because the ground was so frozen.

He was with his best friend (from boyhood) when an 88 hit close by. His friend was terribly wounded.

The aid station was almost two miles away through the forest.

My father hoisted his best friend on his back and RAN two miles with him to the aid station.

When he got there and laid his friend on a stretcher, he died.

At that point, my father also collapsed. Seems the same 88 shell got him, and his back and mid section was peppered with schrapnel and he had lost a lot of blood.

They plugged his holes up and they managed to get him out just before the Germans totally surrounded Bastogne.

When I reflect upon that story, and the others that he told me over the years, it's sometimes hard to believe that they were true, but they were.

My dad had a habit of washing off in front of the kitchen sink when he got home from work. The scars were many and one could not miss them.

The damage those wounds (plus the three other gunshots that he took at various times) caused him much physical pain through the years, but he always managed to work through it somehow.

I lived with him, and believe me, I know how tough he was, and how tough so many of his contemporaries also were.

Depression kids (as so many WWII vets were) were steeled at an early age, and tempered by the hardships of their times.

As difficult as it was, I sometimes wish that each of our children had an opportunity to savor some of that difficulty to put things in perspective.

I didn't know it at the time, but I do now.

He taught me well, and what I have learned has gotten me through many a rough day.

LeapFrog 09-19-2007 09:30 PM

Ty for sharing Myrtle.

Conspire 09-19-2007 10:06 PM

I really enjoyed this series, I remember watching the original airings of it on HBO which seems like a long time ago. I havent seen it in a while, but my favorite episode was when they found the camps. It was shot very well, and I remember feeling so bad that people can do this to other people because of religion.

youtalkfunny 09-19-2007 10:22 PM

Hall of Fame post right there, Myrt.

Dominic 09-19-2007 11:09 PM

Wow, that was a fantastic post, Myrtle...watching BOB I'm always overcome with the sacrifice and bravery those men had in them. I was raised in an easy manner...wanted for nothing, never had to struggle...I think a little hardship would've made me a better man.

Not that I would've wanted a war to go to.

BCPVP 09-19-2007 11:28 PM

Have any of you guys read the book? I read it after having seen the series and I couldn't put it down. The length they go to in the series to re-enact the stories in there is amazing. And it's great to put a "face" to the names in the book, even if it's an actors (though I hear they casted the characters to resemble the actual men).

Metamorphatory 09-20-2007 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i heard rumors they are making one for the pacific war. anyone know any more about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pacific.

Filming in Australia.

27offsuit 09-20-2007 12:48 AM

Quite a post

Conspire 09-20-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pacific.

Filming in Australia.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is awesome. I hope that it is broadcast on HBO again though, I would hate for it to be on any of the networks.