Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Hillary Care round 2 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503405)

iron81 09-18-2007 03:39 PM

Re: Hillary Care round 2

[ QUOTE ]
what's the penalty if you don't buy health insurance?

[/ QUOTE ]
Her reps say she doesn't know.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, it won't take very long for insurers to change higher and higher rates as the government keeps covering the cost - why wouldn't they?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because the government won't want to pay it. The government buys services from companies all the time and particulary for the feds these contracts are competitively bid. In a competitive field like health insurance, the margins these companies make will be small.

PLOlover 09-18-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Her reps say she doesn't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

if there's no penalty then it's kinda not a law, it's more of an available social program, I don't have a problem with that. I mean I would rather have taxes wasted on social programs than on military systems/boondoggles like star wars.

NeBlis 09-18-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the government won't want to pay it. The government buys services from companies all the time and particulary for the feds these contracts are competitively bid.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL good one!!

how does that theory explain all the bridges to nowhere, $500 toilet seats, and $100 bolts the government buys? Congress spends money like Paris Hilton on crack.

Anyone who has ever worked around government contracts knows that they just become a big puzzle. You figure out which hoops to jump through to milk the most out of the government imbeciles.

iron81 09-18-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because the government won't want to pay it. The government buys services from companies all the time and particulary for the feds these contracts are competitively bid.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL good one!!

how does that theory explain all the bridges to nowhere, $500 toilet seats, and $100 bolts the government buys? Congress spends money like Paris Hilton on crack.

Anyone who has ever worked around government contracts knows that they just become a big puzzle. You figure out which hoops to jump through to milk the most out of the government imbeciles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because a tiny fraction of government spending is represented by the scandals you're talking about. They're in the news precisely because they are so unusual.

I have worked around government contracts from both sides. There is plenty of competition for contracts and the contracts are tightly worded to ensure quality delivery at a reasonable price. The contracting process is one of the things the American government is good at.

pvn 09-18-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The contracting process is one of the things the American government is good at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, figuring out what things to buy using that "tight" contract process is not one of the things the american government (or any other one) is good at.

Getting the best durn deal ever on a purple monkey dishwasher isn't as important as deciding not to buy a purple monkey dishwasher in the first place.

NeBlis 09-18-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because a tiny fraction of government spending is represented by the scandals you're talking about. They're in the news precisely because they are so unusual

[/ QUOTE ]

I challenge you to find me one single government program without extravagant waste. These types of waste are S.O.P. for the government.

iron81 09-18-2007 04:21 PM

CBO Report (PDF, Page 2)

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>. Annual Admin Cost % Reduction in assets
Social Security: $11/participant 2
TSP (Govt 401k): $25/participant 5
Mutual Funds: 1.09% of assets 23
Private Defined $24-$103 + 0-1% of assets 9-30
Contribution</pre><hr />

The government completely owns the private sector in terms of efficiency for retirement funds.

mosdef 09-18-2007 04:44 PM

I'm not sure that comparison is at all valid because:

1. The government gets to leverage off of the admin that's already been done in other government filings.

2. Directly comparing the administrative rates assumes administrative services are of equal quality. It's like saying McDonald's delivers beef food more efficiently than Morton's because it costs less.

bobman0330 09-18-2007 04:45 PM

Comparing SS to a mutual fund is just silly. The gov't doesn't invest SS money in anything.

Copernicus 09-18-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shrill and Billary are your house guests until you do.