Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Social Science, Natural Science and the Search for God (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503006)

m_the0ry 09-17-2007 04:56 PM

Re: Social Science, Natural Science and the Search for God

Splendour,

Ok, show me the 'empirical evidence' that religiousness is correlated to 'strong family values'.

Splendour 09-17-2007 05:21 PM

Well I'm not sure if I can give a study...I am asking a question...Couldn't social sciences be just as valid an avenue of assessing the existence of God as Natural Science? Once I had an elementary school teacher tell me that religious values went along with other core values in molding students...Sociology and Psychology groups do conduct empirical studies...and what they are doing is gauging groups of individuals...It would be an alternate route to gauging if God/Religion has a tangible effect rather than just trying to physically quantify him...There are a lot of things in the physical world that can't be seen, but they can be inferred from the end result...Maybe the same is true in the spiritual...The bible likes to liken God to light...how do we know if God's light isn't to us the way that sunlight is to plants which produces photosynthesis...

Sephus 09-17-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm not sure if I can give a study...I am asking a question...Couldn't social sciences be just as valid an avenue of assessing the existence of God as Natural Science? Once I had an elementary school teacher tell me that religious values went along with other core values in molding students...Sociology and Psychology groups do conduct empirical studies...and what they are doing is gauging groups of individuals...It would be an alternate route to gauging if God/Religion has a tangible effect rather than just trying to physically quantify him...There are a lot of things in the physical world that can't be seen, but they can be inferred from the end result...Maybe the same is true in the spiritual...The bible likes to liken God to light...how do we know if God's light isn't to us the way that sunlight is to plants which produces photosynthesis...

[/ QUOTE ]

how is it possible that........you and ironlaw are.......two different........people?

luckyme 09-17-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I had an elementary school teacher tell me ..

[/ QUOTE ]
to qualify as evidence, an elementary teacher must tell you something 3 times and once in writing. When you get to high school you'll find spell that out quite clearly.

luckyme

Splendour 09-17-2007 05:53 PM

Hey I didn't know I had a cyber twin!