Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How focused are you when you play? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=502752)

Marwan 09-17-2007 03:33 AM

Re: How focused are you when you play?

I'm not a full-time player, when I do play tournaments I play one at a time, headphones/music on usually.. I've got HUD/PT, but I've started not to use them when playing tournaments, I feel that they give me an excuse to be lazy and also the numbers make me do things that I wouldn't do if I was paying attention. (Some of the #'s aren't what they
seem, especially with players who change gears a lot)

I do browse the net a lot and have msn open, something which I prolly shouldn't do

pegusus 09-17-2007 03:40 AM

how many of you use PAHud for mtts? do you think it's vital (i.e. can you say that your results have gotten better specifically because of using the program?)

These days I try more and more to have 100% focus, and have headphones on, 4 tables per monitor and minimal browsing of other stuff, but idk it's kinda like 100% focus is not good for me because I've noticed that if I've been playing a session of total focus and then have gay things happen deep in a couple tournaments I'm more likely to get PO'ed and play may decrease in my other tourneys towards the end of a set than if I'm just chilling/playing and doing other stuff till like final 3 tables or so.

JP OSU 09-17-2007 03:42 AM

Wow my god I couldn't play one tournament at a time... It's not just that I would get super bored, It's also that I would tilt so hard if I got sucked out on in my only tournament... When I am multitabling there are almost always a ton more that I'm in... (I usually play 6-10 at a time)

HedonismBot 09-17-2007 03:43 AM

Completely focusing on 1 tournament while obviously difficult increases your ROI by at least 1000%. I would guess almost all online players are really bad at focus

WarDekar 09-17-2007 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Completely focusing on 1 tournament while obviously difficult increases your ROI by at least 1000%. I would guess almost all online players are really bad at focus

[/ QUOTE ]

Also realize though even if we played only one tournament we still won't focus, instead it'd just be more reading online, watching TV, etc. because it's like... impossible to sit there and watch one table.

nath 09-17-2007 03:51 AM

focused more if i've just exercised and/or taken adderall

Marwan 09-17-2007 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also realize though even if we played only one tournament we still won't focus, instead it'd just be more reading online, watching TV, etc. because it's like... impossible to sit there and watch one table.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, that and $/hr or whatever benchmark you use is more important than ROI imo.. plus, with MTT's, volume is pretty important since you'll be in a lot of suckout/coinflip situations.. I only play one at a time b/c I play them so infrequently so it's more of a fun, let's see what happens sort of thing. Plus people are actually more focused with a few tables than one as you mentioned, the mind does tend to wander a lot when making one important decision every 10 mins or so.

ZBTHorton 09-17-2007 04:01 AM

I play 8 tables, and use two monitors. No resizing. On my third monitor I surf the web/talk in AIM.

I think I have an extreme issue with concentrating within the first 1 1/2 hours of a tournament. once the antes kick in, I tend to focus more.

dragonystic 09-17-2007 04:13 AM

4-5 tables, no PAHUD.

i listen to music and usually am pretty focused on the tables. i sometimes skim my email, 2p2, blogs, when im not getting dealt any cards. but more often than not, its just music and cards for me.

i used to watch tv the entire time i played, but after i moved, i decided to not have a tv by my computer so i would be forced to focus more. i think it has helped my winrate.

Soulman 09-17-2007 04:21 AM

Since I'm an ancient (32), non-fulltime player (although still around 15-20 hours a week), I generally rarely play more than 4 tables, usually 3. I use a HUD and I'm probably too dependent on it, if a site updates and the HUD doesn't work I feel lost [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I have two monitors, have the tables on one (24", non-resized) and web browser/IM etc on the other. Usually listen to music, feel like I play better if I do - easier to get in the zone. Hard rock and rap is the most usual style, although I'm fairly eclectic.

Not concentrating is definitely my biggest flaw as a player - I'm just not interested enough. This gets better if I get a big stack/get deep obviously. Sounds like I'm about the same as ZBT, probably even longer. For some reason I lose a ton of focus after a big win.

Once I get really deep, I don't start any new tournies and concentrate fully on that one. It's weird how my play just gets so much better once this happens - it's like another game entirely. On the FT I'm usually totally engrossed and fully concentrated.