Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   general knowledge everyone knows (but you!) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501711)

Blarg 09-15-2007 03:47 PM

Re: general knowledge everyone knows (but you!)

I've read that like half of high school kids can't find Mexico on a map, but I'm skeptical.

Conspire 09-15-2007 03:49 PM

Even after I had graduated high school I didnt know what state Washington D.C was in.

Mrs. Utah 09-15-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know how to do a screen print. I had to ask diebitter to explain it to me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And Katy then had to try and walk me through that whole process that diebitter posted in the Jackson Pollock thread.
Sadly it was not working, so Utah came along online (he's in Siberia) and walked me through. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Kimbell175113 09-15-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the three Executive Branches of the U.S. government

[/ QUOTE ]
what

I don't know the difference between a burrito and a soft taco (i.e. with a flour tortilla).

katyseagull 09-15-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know the difference between a burrito and a soft taco (i.e. with a flour tortilla).

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, this made me laugh. To this day I'm still not sure what a tostada is. Is it a flat hard shell with stuff piled on it?

Dominic 09-15-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, this made me laugh. To this day I'm still not sure what a tostada is. Is it a flat hard shell with stuff piled on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so...anyone know what a pimento is?? I love green olives stuffed with them, but for the life of me I have no idea what they are.

Mrs. Utah 09-15-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so...anyone know what a pimento is?? I love green olives stuffed with them, but for the life of me I have no idea what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't the pimento question asked in another thread? Katy do you remember?
I looked up tostada and Katty you are correct, but in Cuba and Spain it can refer to bread that is toasted.

youtalkfunny 09-15-2007 05:08 PM

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but I can't think of a single example of how this applies to me.

However, I'm quite confident that I'll be reminded of one before the end of the day.

(I'd have to guess if asked to find Iraq on a map, but I don't consider that to be "common knowledge".)

plzleenowhammy 09-15-2007 05:12 PM

i can't do anything involving fractions.. i passed an ap calc exam in high school but if u ask me to divide 2 fractions my brain will explode.

bigmonkey 09-15-2007 05:33 PM

We had a class last year in philosophy called Normativity, the study of norms. A norm is something that you should do. Some may have heard the distinction between a subject (for example ethics) being normative or descriptive, concerned with what we ought to do and what we actually do. We'd had this class for ten weeks and in the last lecture the professor asks the class what a norm is. A guy I know to be quite intelligent and one of the better students insta-calls the question with "something that usually happens", dead seriously.
Professor not best pleased.