Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   New Tax Law - Witholding (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=491087)

mlagoo 09-01-2007 01:11 AM

Re: New Tax Law - Witholding

[ QUOTE ]
From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
The ruling held that tournament poker is not a skillful competition and should be considered a gambling activity, at least for the purposes of taxation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when did aejones get into politics

09-01-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
The ruling held that tournament poker is not a skillful competition and should be considered a gambling activity, at least for the purposes of taxation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo - 1
rest of world - 0

mlagoo 09-01-2007 01:11 AM

also, this really really sucks. i need to speak to an accountant about wtf im supposed to do moving forward.

luckychewy 09-01-2007 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From the article:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'd pretty hard at this.

Bellagibro 09-01-2007 01:48 AM

This is going to hurt the tournament community in such a big way. Uncle Sam now gets a interest free loan from us degens and we get less money to Gamb00l up. Glad I don't live in the gold ol' U S and A

shaniac 09-01-2007 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, this really really sucks. i need to speak to an accountant about wtf im supposed to do moving forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the issue "moving forward" if you intended to pay your taxes, anyway?

FatalError 09-01-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously keep good backing records and pay your taxes like a good little us citizen

will they be witholding from countries the US has tax treaties with though? i.e. are canadians and europeans going to end up paying US taxes?

shaniac 09-01-2007 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

will they be witholding from countries the US has tax treaties with though? i.e. are canadians and europeans going to end up paying US taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Don't players from tax-treaty countries already have their taxes withheld on US tournament cashes? They don't wind up "paying US taxes." As far as I understand, this new regulation isn't changing who owes tax where, it changes how and when it's collected.

mlagoo 09-01-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it seemed to me that this was going to make staking/being staked significantly more complicated. maybe i was off. and i just want to make sure i know what i need to do whenever i cash in a tournament.

ryanghall 09-01-2007 02:51 AM

Yes, Canadians already pay a witholding tax (which is why I rarely go to US tourneys)

Ryan