Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   most emotionally devasting moment in film (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=491001)

sethypooh21 08-31-2007 11:29 PM

Re: most emotionally devasting moment in film

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: oh, and in Saving Private Ryan when Adam Goldberg gets stabbed in the attic, oh my I wish I didn't see when I was so young

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing I thought of on seeing the thread title. I watch this movie probably 3 times a year, but I don't think I've seen this scene more than twice. I just can't watch it.

My other choices are the first time they shwo ground Zero in 25th Hour, the ending of Castaway, and the entirety of The Sweet Hereafter

Oh yeah, and when Wash dies in Serenity (right after "I'm a leaf on the wind")

There are some other moments that are oddly effecting also for no good reason, like when Radha Mitchell's character gets jacked at the end of Pitch Black...

(SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Also, different category, but Bodie's last scene in "The Wire"

(/SPOLIER)

PaulSF415 08-31-2007 11:54 PM

<response to spoiler>

Bodie's death didn't nearly get to me nearly as much as Wallace. I guess I'd put D and Stringer before Bodie as well. And I suspect Dukie's death when it happens in season 5 will be the worst of all.

TheDudeAbides 09-01-2007 12:06 AM

I didn't even love the movie, but the end of Requiem for a Dream just gutted me.

KDawg 09-01-2007 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Going by results, though I can't figure out WHY this moment destroyed me the way it did: Martin Sheen's death in The Departed

[/ QUOTE ]

cause a few of us in here had seen Infernal Affairs and had already been shocked by that death [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

seriously though, I still can never get over the youngest brother in Legends of the Fall getting torn to bits by a german machine gun in that WWI scene. It messed with me when I was a kid, it messed with me when my brother was in Iraq, and it messes with me now. As an older brother, it's just gut wrenching to watch and put yourself in Tristan's position

Hell, the entire film of 21 grams was insanely devastating and just left me brutally cold after watching it

PaulSF415 09-01-2007 12:40 AM

21 Grams is an example of too much devastation. It didn't add to the story, it was the story.

Shadowrun 09-01-2007 12:46 AM

Saving Private Ryan

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-01-2007 12:47 AM

when jennifer connelly give the black guy a bj for crack in requiem for a dream was pretty brutal. he was like 'les let it breathe'. i almost collapsed.

Stagger_Lee 09-01-2007 01:04 AM

Well there was this clip posted in BBV just the other day.....

andyfox 09-01-2007 01:05 AM

For those who haven't seen it, the look on Chaplin's face at the end of City Lights when the formerly blind girl realizes her benefactor was The Tramp. The single most memorable shot in cinema, including everything.

Dominic 09-01-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh, and in Saving Private Ryan when Adam Goldberg gets stabbed in the attic, oh my I wish I didn't see when I was so young

[/ QUOTE ]

this always gets me, too.