Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   How sick is this Mother (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488843)

mrbaseball 08-29-2007 01:45 PM

Re: How sick is this Mother

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see how calling 911 isn't the obvious play here

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't call her from the bridge. They spoke often from the way I understood it and he often talked of cashing in his chips. It's not like he said he was on the bridge and gonna jump. Then 911 is the thing to do.

And yes this is a popular jump. According to the movie the bridge has it's own police squad stationed on it and in 2004 (the year the movie covered) 24 people took the leap.

Most disturbing I thought was that they had (it seemed like) at least 10 minutes of this particular guy before he jumped in the contemplation stage. Of course the film maker didn't know but they had a lot of footage before the jump right up until (and including) him doing it. It almost seems like the camera guy shoulda made a call.

tuq 08-29-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most disturbing I thought was that they had (it seemed like) at least 10 minutes of this particular guy before he jumped in the contemplation stage. Of course the film maker didn't know but they had a lot of footage before the jump right up until (and including) him doing it. It almost seems like the camera guy shoulda made a call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's some pretty perverted reality show crap right there. "Hay guise I'm going to kill myself." "Sweet, mind if we tag along and film it, LOL?"

PaulSF415 08-29-2007 02:35 PM

Was there an actual cameraman? I always assumed there was just a camera set up on the bridge.

mrbaseball 08-29-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was there an actual cameraman?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was on shore. I can't say he knew the guy was gonna jump. But they had a lot of pre-jump footage of this particular guy. There was another segment with a girl who went over the railing onto a ledge and they just kept filming her. A guy on the bridge was taking stills of her (not part of movie crew) and he started talking to her and eventually pulled her back on the bridge and cops came. But it seemed as if the film crew was just waiting for her to jump.

mrbaseball 08-29-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always assumed there was just a camera set up on the bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did have static cameras set which caught a few "splashes" but for this particular guy it was definitely a live cameraman as it followed his movements.

PaulSF415 08-29-2007 03:11 PM

Interesting. There's definately a moral quandary that comes into play. If I'm the cameraman I don't try to do anything myself but I call 911 100% of the time, and I'd have someone with me I could send to talk to the suicidal person before help arrives. The artistic vision might change a little but who the [censored] cares, these are people we're talking about here.

BigPoppa 08-29-2007 04:35 PM

Yeah, the moment that someone else's life is less important than the quality of your movie, you've gone way over the line.

pokah5 08-29-2007 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just got done watching a documentary called "The Bridge" about people who kill themselves by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. They interview the mother of one of the suicides and her son calls her to tell that he is going to jump off the brige.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched that last night. It wasn't his mother. She was a friend of the family. And I'm pretty sure she lived in a different city so I'm not so sure what she could have done?

[/ QUOTE ]
called parents/police? lol... i take it you would just sit there and not know what to do.

mrbaseball 08-29-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got done watching a documentary called "The Bridge" about people who kill themselves by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. They interview the mother of one of the suicides and her son calls her to tell that he is going to jump off the brige.

I just watched that last night. It wasn't his mother. She was a friend of the family. And I'm pretty sure she lived in a different city so I'm not so sure what she could have done?

called parents/police? lol... i take it you would just sit there and not know what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the movie?