Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Will the USA allow to China to become more powerful (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=480039)

ianlippert 08-17-2007 11:34 PM

Re: Will the USA allow to China to become more powerful

[ QUOTE ]
The way many commentators are talking about China, they seem desperate for an enemy. China's military spending is a sliver of the U.S. 2005, U.S. military budget was seven times China's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! thats insane! Thanks for the link

bobman0330 08-18-2007 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, it commits more crimes against its people than most countries because it is so big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, what? It commits more crimes against its people because it's so big AND because the government represses the [censored] out of the population. Complete denial of political rights, repression of the media, secret trials, gross invasions of reproductive rights, all on a massive scale.

Kaj 08-18-2007 11:40 AM

You guys are all wrong. The US will attack China in less than 20 years. The planning is already in the works and the indoctrination of "China must be stopped" is pervasive through the military.

The once and future king 08-18-2007 11:59 AM

Should the British Empire stop the ascendancy of its former colony the United States of America ?

Oh wait.......

bobman0330 08-18-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are all wrong. The US will attack China in less than 20 years. The planning is already in the works and the indoctrination of "China must be stopped" is pervasive through the military.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think a war between the US and China is sickeningly likely, but if it happens, it's virtually certain to be over an attempted Chinese invasion of Taiwan.

Bill Haywood 08-18-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It commits more crimes against its people... Complete denial of political rights, repression of the media, secret trials, gross invasions of reproductive rights....

[/ QUOTE ]

That is all awful, but it is not unusual. Saudi Arabia, Singapore, West Bank, many republics in the former Soviet Union, etc. etc., all rival China for human rights abuses Some US allies, some not.

What I'm driving at is what makes China a particular threat to other countries? (Beyond of course Tibet or Taiwan.)

I can't think of anywhere it has invaded besides bordering countries. While horrible, what reason do we have to expect military conquest of Japan, India, etc.? The US is out of the question, an amphibious assault on California is preposterous. Where's the treat to us?

If anybody, it's China threatened by the US quest for "full spectrum dominance."

Here is the sort of thing provoking China and Russia: Russia has just resumed long-range bomber patrol after 15 years, because the US is engaging in an arms race. Vladimir Putin:

"We have decided to restore flights by Russian strategic bombers on a permanent basis," he said.

He added: "Russia stopped this practice in 1992. Unfortunately not everybody followed suit."

Guardian article (London).

The US had 15 years to respond to the end of the Cold War and return to a peace-time military, but no.

ALawPoker 08-18-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anybody, it's China threatened by the US quest for "full spectrum dominance."

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to not understand that military action in a democracy is guided by, fundamentally a citizenship's preferences, and then whatever is best for politicians to be elected and keep their jobs.

America and its allies, while maybe loose militarily, have no ambition to conquer the world. World dominance was so 18th century.

I realize it might be fun for you to visualize the U.S. military as some entity that does what it wants whenever it wants, but the truth is it is restrained by the (sometimes misguided) preferences of its citizens. Really all it does is respond to what will win elections for politicians. And the idea that an attack on a country like China (particularly because both countries gain so much through trade) could be even remotely politically plausible is almost laughable.

Attacking a small country with what is seen as a ruthless dictator in the Middle East after September 11th is like a political gimme. Don't let that lead you to believe that attacking China is even a remote possibility.

I agree with you that it's probably also ridiculous to think China would want to attack us (particularly because their military will not be anywhere close to ours for at least a couple decades, and again because they gain so much from our economy). Not being terribly familiar with China though, I personally am not really sure what exactly makes their leaders tick, so I'd yield to someone who knows more.

The only reason I'd say China might be slightly more likely to start something, is their government's willingness to censor information from their citizens. All leaders everywhere are power hungry [censored]. So the idea of a billion or so people acting without full information is sort of scary. Western democracies might have our own sort of systematic indoctrination to promote the righteousness of our side, but that's different and less dangerous than flat censorship, imo. But ultimately I just don't see any reason why China's leaders would want to start a military conflict with us anyways.

warrantofice 08-18-2007 05:50 PM

Well my brother went to China two months ago and he said that they hate the USA and would never sing the national anthem even if they could do it in chinese. So i think that china must be plotting to take over the state. They probably will set up lots of mini bases in the forum of take out food restaurants and arm them with cheap starches to slow the american people down. Then they will all come over in container ships similar to the trojan horse attack. when they have landed i hear they plan to invade everyone house that has purchased made in china merchandise and then kill everyone and that will be enough and then they will go home cause that all they wanted to do. but this is just what my brother said so don't quote me and he might not have gone to china he might have gone to australia but they are both close to each other so rumours do spread. remeber loose lips sink ships

Bill Haywood 08-18-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to not understand that military action in a democracy is guided by, fundamentally a citizenship's preferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must you word things condescendingly? And you do not seem to understand reality. A strong majority of the country is against the war in Iraq, but even the "opposition" Democrats (minus Kucinich) have announced they are not leaving for the foreseeable future. The Democrats got a mandate, but keep cravenly knuckling under to Bush, even on civil liberties basics. Where's the citizen preference in that? You don't understand that just because people have the vote does not mean they are not flummoxed by corrupted information and aggressive lying.

[ QUOTE ]
...no ambition to conquer the world. World dominance was so 18th century.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not conquest in the classic colonial sense, but the march toward full-spectrum dominance of the world is openly proclaimed and promoted. From the horses mouth.
This refers to unchallengeable military supremacy from outer space to the bottom of the ocean, of the entire world. Military control of major resources and markets, and an elaborate parallel universe of bases circling the globe.

[ QUOTE ]
the truth is it is restrained by the (sometimes misguided) preferences of its citizens. Really all it does is respond to what will win elections for politicians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, enough with the civics class quotes. Things a strong majority want but do not get from politicians: universal health coverage, more money for education, an end to the wars of Korea, Vietnam, Gulf II. (We got two of those, but way later than people wanted.) Greater environmental protection, more investment in alternative energies. The right of Medicare to bargain drug prices. Did you know the government is legally barred from negotiating prices of the drugs Medicare buys???!!!! Nothing so astoundingly harmful and craven could get done if the government ultimately answered to citizen preferences.

[ QUOTE ]
the idea that an attack on a country like China ...could be even remotely politically plausible is almost laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the U.S. threat is not in the form of an intended invasion. By controlling much of China's oil (by controlling Mideast), the shipping lanes, it's neighbors, its airspace -- this all means China is over a barrel. It cannot drive good bargains because it knows if push came to shove, it will lose a war. In the language of power, war itself is rarely resorted to. The military balance dictates the agreements countries reach. Any great power is going to feel highly threatened by absolute military dominance, even when an occupation is out of the question. So yes, it is foremost America's arms race that threatens other countries and threatens stability.

[ QUOTE ]
Attacking a small country with what is seen as a ruthless dictator in the Middle East after September 11th is like a political gimme. Don't let that lead you to believe that attacking China is even a remote possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a lawyer?? And don't know what a straw man is?

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I'd say China might be slightly more likely to start something, is their government's willingness to censor information from their citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly censorship cripples the citizenry. But the American empire gets by very well with limited censorship by overpowering the public space with propaganda and corrupted news media.

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see any reason why China's leaders would want to start a military conflict with us anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then contemplate just why in the hell it is being pumped up as this existential threat.

Bill Haywood 08-18-2007 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well my brother went to China two months ago and he said that they hate the USA... So i think that china must be plotting to take over the states.

[/ QUOTE ]

That slays me!!