Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Won $ at SD NLCASH (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=479914)

TNixon 08-17-2007 07:12 PM

Re: Won $ at SD NLCASH

[ QUOTE ]
All good players are POWs (not joking).

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the sidetrack, but would you mind expanding on this comment a little?

Sometimes I think I'm paying off too often with strong hands on scary boards, calling big bets on the river with a set or 2 pair on a 4 straight or a 4 flush (or 4 straight AND 4 flush) board.

cwar 08-17-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All good players are POWs (not joking).

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the sidetrack, but would you mind expanding on this comment a little?

Sometimes I think I'm paying off too often with strong hands on scary boards, calling big bets on the river with a set or 2 pair on a 4 straight or a 4 flush (or 4 straight AND 4 flush) board.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hard to explain just something Ive noticed, most players whose games I really respect think of themselves as POWs (or whatever vocab they use), if I were to guess its because they visualize hand ranges better than most and understand you dont have to win every time you call.

kolotoure 08-17-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Worst thing about it is that I said to myself "lead turn, fold to push" Dunno why I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this way too often and I have no idea why

abcjnich 08-17-2007 10:59 PM

I personally don't think w$sd is too important. If my winrate is high, I must be doing something right.

A word on POWs. If anyone reads Brian Townsends blog (aba20,sbrugby) you'll have seen that he said a couple weeks ago that a trait of a good player is WHY they call. He gave an example of having A8 on a 2KQ84 (or somethign like that) board. The A8 potted pre otb, then flop was chk/pot/call, turn was chk/chk, and river villain led for pot. He said that most people who have qj here say "i have a pair of q's i call" but they'll fold A8, when in fact both hands only beat a bluff, because most villains wont vbet a q on the river.

This is very sound advice. Calling w/ two pair when there is four to a straight or four a flush on the board is a call that can obviously only beat a bluff. But if you call w/ 2p here will you call w/ tptk? Probably not.

When I make questionable plays I question myself what I would do with hands right above or below the one I have. If I would just call w/ tptk, but raise with bottom two pairs, then there is a problem because those hands have the same relative strength.

whaahhahahah 08-17-2007 11:48 PM

that 48% comes up for a lot for winning regs. i still don't put much stock in it though

imfatandugly 08-18-2007 04:04 PM

I'm at 46% over 100k hands at 1/2-3/6 with a winrate of about 7ptbb/100.

MasterLJ 08-18-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that 48% comes up for a lot for winning regs. i still don't put much stock in it though

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.

I met one of the better players I've seen in a while and he was 76/20. He played very well after the flop... just goes to say that there are no cookie-cutter stats you should be aiming for.

MasterLJ 08-18-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at 46% over 100k hands at 1/2-3/6 with a winrate of about 7ptbb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine if you didn't have gems like this...

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero: $470.50
imfatandugly: $201.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">imfatandugly raises to $6.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $20.00</font>, imfatandugly calls $14.00

Flop: ($40) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $35.00</font>, <font color="red">imfatandugly raises all-in to $181.00</font>, Hero calls $146.00

Turn: ($402) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($402) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $402.00 ($0.50 Rake)

imfatandugly had 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Threes) and WON (+$200.50)
Hero had J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, Jacks and Threes) and LOST (-$201.00)