Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Anyone successful at 10nl? (Help needed) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=478908)

MrBump 08-16-2007 12:10 PM

Re: Anyone successful at 10nl? (Help needed)

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you also would like to play poker with which you can move up, so please don't wait only for premium hands. If there are one or two loose limpers I raise it up from the CO of the button with any half decent hand, beware of tightpassives though they might sit on a big hand. Call behind limpers with your speculative hands (suited connectors, suited aces small pocketpairs), open with all pocketpairs from MP2; on the button and CO call with the bigger offsuit connectors after some limpers. Remember position is the nuts especially in NL10, exploit your opponents playingstyle to the max. Oh yeah BT2 is right about one thing don't bluff on the turn or river unless you know for sure a player can lay down toppair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. I would also add, don't even semi-bluff raise your strong draws vs opponents who have just bet into you - They have hit the board and at these levels, they aren't going anywhere ! Just call if you're getting the odds to draw or close to the odds, because when you hit, they'll be paying you off (implied odds)...

GL

Larude 08-16-2007 12:14 PM

I think I know what is wrong about your play, you probably can't lay down a good or mediocre hand to a better holding or you don't force opponents out when they are drawing; I namely don't know what the 'normal' stats should be for WTSD but 21,05 is quite high and mucher higher than mine.

WantToLearn 08-16-2007 12:43 PM

Hey,
you need to go review all the hands that were big losses and ask yourself what was wrong. If the money went in while you were ahead and knew you were ahead, donīt second guess yourself. If not, post the questionable hands here in the forum.

In case there is nothing wrong with your playing the big pots, watch out for a pattern of repeated medium losses.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I know what is wrong about your play, you probably can't lay down a good or mediocre hand to a better holding

[/ QUOTE ]

This may very well be the reason. On the other side, it is equally possible to make bad folds that look like good folds, i.e. you mistakenly assume your opponent is a thinking person and give him too much respect. It happens all the time at the micro limits.

dcasper70 08-16-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you also would like to play poker with which you can move up, so please don't wait only for premium hands. If there are one or two loose limpers I raise it up from the CO of the button with any half decent hand, beware of tightpassives though they might sit on a big hand. Call behind limpers with your speculative hands (suited connectors, suited aces small pocketpairs), open with all pocketpairs from MP2; on the button and CO call with the bigger offsuit connectors after some limpers. Remember position is the nuts especially in NL10, exploit your opponents playingstyle to the max. Oh yeah BT2 is right about one thing don't bluff on the turn or river unless you know for sure a player can lay down toppair.

[/ QUOTE ]
ding, ding, ding!

I started playing NL maybe 5 months ago (after 3 years of nothing but O8). I've been beating NL10 over somewhere near 15k-ish hands doing basically what you see in Larude's post.

I'll post graph & stats for comparison when I get home. I think I'm around 12bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

How big a pocket pair do you need in MP2 to raise with? And, how big of a SC do you feel is worth limping in with behind other limpers? I think I'm probably a little too tight in those situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
It really depends on a whole lot of variables.
Loose or tight table, your image, reads on utg limpers and those yet to act, etc...
I'm pretty aggressive, so it wouldn't take much for me to open raise in mp with nothing but tighties behind me, but throw a 35/22 into the CO and I'll be more careful. OTOH, if a sub 10 vpip player limps UTG, my radar goes off & I'll only limp if a few others came alomg. Certainly won't go past the flop without a monster...

It kinda sucks to hear it all the time, but 'it depends' is really the best answer. Pay attention to stats and tendancies.
And, of course, don't be dumb. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Mike Kelley 08-16-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I know what is wrong about your play, you probably can't lay down a good or mediocre hand to a better holding or you don't force opponents out when they are drawing; I namely don't know what the 'normal' stats should be for WTSD but 21,05 is quite high and mucher higher than mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

20-25% is normal range for wtsd% I think.

phydaux 08-16-2007 01:57 PM

I also play 10NL, and am currently beating the game. I also run around 16/8, although my post-flop aggression is a little higher than yours.

Just keep an eye on position. Being OOP sucks so much that is just can't be overstated.

And watch your opponent's stack sizes. Only get involved with speculative hands (small pairs, SCs, suited aces) when your opponent has a big stack so you can win a lot when you hit.

Then just keep at it. I moved up to 10NL the end of June, and July was my best month ever. August, however, is only break even so far.

Larude 08-16-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this is interesting I'm only at 11% running 14BB/100 over 10000 hands. Is this a leak in my game then? Am I a superlucky weak nit? I'd like to hear some opinions from higher stakes players now....

NoChance 08-16-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Somewhere in the stickied posts there was a link to poker tracker stats or something like that. It suggested 21% was the median from all the data gathered. I am guessing at microlimits that percentage would be a little higher as many go to far with their hands. The opposite is probably true for the highest limits.

CaptainSubtext 08-16-2007 03:59 PM

I don't have PT to show numbers, but at the various sites where I played micro NLH (~10k hands) I see a pattern that I grow my bankroll with winning a lot of small pots playing solid TAG and then having a downswing to just above breakeven because eg. I have KK and lose preflop allin against my neighbour's AA.

My bankroll is growing very, very slowly with this pattern.

I also rarely win big pots and therefore I rarely double or tripple my buyin although I see alot of other players doing this which frustrates me a bit because I wanne be such a guy on multiple tables.

I have been playing 10NL @ Stars for little less than a week now and the same pattern has occurred again after some 1800 hands. Growing slowly from $50 to $63 then back to $51 (AA cracked preflop by JJ). Growing it back to $61 and now down to $50 (Raised KK preflop allin against neighbour's AA).

I've been thinking about all this and I think it's because I play too less speculative hands (small pairs, SCs, suited aces). Limping these into multiway pots or calling a raise which if you hit hard will be big, big winners.

I'll see if this helps me.

WantToLearn 08-16-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also rarely win big pots and therefore I rarely double or tripple my buyin although I see alot of other players doing this which frustrates me a bit because I wanne be such a guy on multiple tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

See it like this: 20 maniacs go all-in every hand. 10 minutes later, you meet 5 maniacs and all of them have gigantic stacks. Now you may think, "wow, all these super-loose people take down the money."
But that is not true.
15 went home broke, and chances are you didnīt notice those.

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing 10NL @ Stars for little less than a week now and the same pattern has occurred again after some 1800 hands. Growing slowly from $50 to $63 then back to $51 (AA cracked preflop by JJ). Growing it back to $61 and now down to $50 (Raised KK preflop allin against neighbour's AA).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure if I understand you. Are you really talking about 1800 hands and a "downswing" of 1 buy-in??
I hope I may say that, you need to learn a lot then.
You need a LOT more hands and you need not complain before like beeing 10 buy-ins down.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about all this

[/ QUOTE ]
Donīt. Simply donīt.