Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Cards call up Ankiel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=473378)

Senor Cardgage 08-09-2007 02:36 PM

Re: Cards call up Ankiel

I got to see him pitch in a rookie league game when he was trying to get himself back together. Seems like a good guy; I had no idea he was trying to make it back as an outfieilder.

DesertCat 08-09-2007 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sure his OBP sucks, but a guy who a .270/.316/.570 guy has good value

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's AAA numbers. What's the expected translation to the majors? If it's a 10% reduction he'd be .243/.285/.523. That provides what looks like a decent OPS (.808), except that OBP is probably worth 3x SLG. So his EQA is likely to be below league average. That's not good for a corner outfielder who struggles defensively.

For comparison, Jack Cust is .263/.402/.521 this year in the Majors. Last year he was .293/.467/.549 in AAA. And if his hitting ever falls off he could never play the outfield for anyone. As soon as Piazza is moved Cust is a full time DH.

Kneel B4 Zod 08-09-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the expected translation to the majors?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it's a difficult projection I think. he's been a full time OF for 2 years. so while you normally wouldn't be excited about a relatively 1 dimensional player making his MLB debut at 28, this is clearly an outlier case.

SL__72 08-09-2007 02:49 PM

I think you can usually count on about a 15% reduction, but that varies a ton from player to player.

THAY3R 08-09-2007 02:54 PM

Big time sluggers with poor OBP skills and high strikeout numbers tend to translate very poorly in the majors.

DesertCat 08-09-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big time sluggers with poor OBP skills and high strikeout numbers tend to translate very poorly in the majors.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he could catch or play a decent 2b/SS his OBP wouldn't hurt so bad. I'm just struggling to see where he fits as a successful MLB player unless he improves significantly. Cust's OBP makes him a fine DH, but I can't really see Ankiel successful in that role without a much better OBP.

I sure hope he does make it somehow.

NajdorfDefense 08-09-2007 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet Ryan Howard is what, 27, and in his second full year?

kyro 08-09-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with this post, but thayer DID say "tend".

THAY3R 08-09-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.

Triumph36 08-09-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

believe he said 'poor OBP' not 'great OBP'

i could see how you got confused