Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   My Journey to the Free Market (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=472987)

iron81 08-09-2007 01:23 AM

Re: My Journey to the Free Market

Settle down you two.

Borodog 08-09-2007 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Let me know when you start engaging in logic, and we'll talk about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir, are a coward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

Do you concede that the free market is better than the state at organizing society and solving individual and societal problems or not?

If you do, just say so. If you don't, what point is there in talking about how to get to something that you're not interested in going to?

Borodog 08-09-2007 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Settle down you two.

[/ QUOTE ]

He started it!

Bill Haywood 08-09-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what point is there in talking about how to get to something that you're not interested in going to?

[/ QUOTE ]

To demonstrate to other readers that AC is worth considering.

Borodog 08-09-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what point is there in talking about how to get to something that you're not interested in going to?

[/ QUOTE ]

To demonstrate to other readers that AC is worth considering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before anyone will be interested in how to get someplace, you have to convince them that it's worth going there.

elwoodblues 08-09-2007 01:44 AM

Interesting.

What I find quite peculiar is your discussion of your parents. You say that your parents never talked about religion and assume for some reason that NEVER talking about religion doesn't instill any preconcieved notions about religion. Similarly your parents NEVER talked about politics though "I was a little-l libertarian, because that's the way my parents raised me (although without using the word; I probably never heard the word until I was 27); don't [censored] with other people or their stuff. "

I find it a difficult pill to swallow that you "had not preconceived notions" yet you turned out just how your parents raised you in terms of both political and religious beliefs (though not, obviously, in how you vocalize those beliefs.)

Bill Haywood 08-09-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before anyone will be interested in how to get someplace, you have to convince them that it's worth going there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This board is full of people who are convinced.

Now tell them how.

owsley 08-09-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mises economics is interesting and compelling, like exquisitely ordered ripples in sand dunes.

But it's all economics, no thought as to how society can be persuaded to adopt AC.

You have yet to seriously engage with the political impossibilities, but then dance away or get snippy when anyone presses you on it.

The enormous interests vested in the state cannot be driven off without creating a state-like apparatus to do it.

Please address this in a serious, respectful manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who talk like this about Austrian economics usually don't understand it very well. There are effective and interesting criticisms of ACism that are worth talking about, but people who just say "blah blah clever in theory but is impractical, couldnt be implemented in reality blah blah never gonna happen" usually dont understand the theory that well.

Scary_Tiger 08-09-2007 01:49 AM

How come I found out about Dr. Paul hiring your wife from another forum?

Like seriously?

Borodog 08-09-2007 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting.

What I find quite peculiar is your discussion of your parents. You say that your parents never talked about religion and assume for some reason that NEVER talking about religion doesn't instill any preconcieved notions about religion. Similarly your parents NEVER talked about politics though "I was a little-l libertarian, because that's the way my parents raised me (although without using the word; I probably never heard the word until I was 27); don't [censored] with other people or their stuff. "

I find it a difficult pill to swallow that you "had not preconceived notions" yet you turned out just how your parents raised you in terms of both political and religious beliefs (though not, obviously, in how you vocalize those beliefs.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what, if any, political or religious beliefs my parents hold. They didn't raise me to be "libertarian", they just raised me not to hurt people or steal.

My parents never raised me to be religious, nor did they ever say religious people are idiots/kooks/wackos/etc. They never said anything either way. They never talked about politics or government at all, not good, not bad. I wasn't homeschooled on a compound somewhere and told the gummint was bad or told about my "civic duty" or something and sent off to a military academy.

If that doesn't leave me without preconceived notions on the two subjects, I don't know what kind of upbringing possibly could.