Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quixtar/ multi-level marketing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=471516)

ianlippert 08-07-2007 12:46 PM

Re: Quixtar/ multi-level marketing

My parents have been into to this for about 10 years now and let me tell you its a huge waste of time and money. Yes there are people that have made millions doing this but people have made millions in the tech industry too, doesnt mean you should run out and start a new tech company.

Heres some stats from their site

[ QUOTE ]
*The following are approximate percentages of Direct Fulfillment IBOs of record in North America who achieved the illustrated levels of success in the calendar year ending August 31, 2005: Diamond .0120%; Emerald .0320%; Q-12 Platinum .1683%.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The average bonus and cash payments earned by a Diamond IBO in 2005 were $146,995.

The average bonus and cash payments earned by an Emerald in 2005 were $72,241.*

The average bonus and cash payments earned by a Q12 Platinum, an IBO who qualifies at the Platinum level all 12 months of the year, were $47,472.*

[/ QUOTE ]

Really not that much money considering how much work you have to put into the business to get there. Just what your average wage is going to be once you factor in the years you spend essentially making nothing.

Having said that, theres nothing inherently illegal about it. Its not a pyramid scheme and they have been to court several times to prove it. Also, they have a huge catalogue so if you find some products you like theres nothing wrong with joining up to purchase them directly. Just make sure you stay as far away from the motivational weekends as possible, that stuff will brain wash you.

Klompy 08-07-2007 12:50 PM

I attended a quixtar meeting about 6 years ago while I was still in high school. They tried to hype it up telling us it's just getting off the ground and how it's going to make everyone rich. I never did anything else with it after they tried to tell us we had to pay 150$ or something to "get started" at which point I didn't like the sound of it anymore. There was a guy from my school that got really involved in it devoting his life to getting people started under him, and I think he failed miserably at making any money.

Fred G Sanford 08-07-2007 12:54 PM

I think you should try it out. It seems like rounding up a bunch of people who have never sold anything is the best way to create a sales team.

Sorry Mike..couldn't resist.

Fred G Sanford

spentrent 08-07-2007 12:57 PM

Quixtar/Amway is great if you don't mind becoming "that guy" to all your friends. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. Some people really don't mind becoming that guy.

Remember in the movie "Go" when the cop was trying to sell Amway to the Party of Five dude? That is really how these people are. Cheers if you're down with that.

Why does this make you a pariah to most of your friends? The whole point of MLM is to get people in your "downline." The most effective way to start is to tell everyone you know about this awesome opportunity where all they need to do is build their own downline to get rich! To be a good salesman with this crap, you need to go hard at first, leverage the trust your friends and family have, fight resistance a little, then move on if you can't win.

Pretty soon you've run out of friends to bug and suddenly you find yourself making "business investments" in leads, "business investments" in lectures, and so on. It might work for you, but it doesn't work for most. Most people either realize the game and leave, or they burn all their cash on seminars and leads, then leave.

OR they join the little economy that supports the idiots playing the game, then they get rich.

That said, let me introduce you my eBook, How to Sell MLM Leads to MLM Idiots. Take a gander and then refer it to friends. I'll give you a 15% commission on every sale you make. AND I'll give you a a 9% commission on every sale your friends make that you referred to the program!

tpir 08-07-2007 01:04 PM

Definitely Amway and definitely a scam/cult.

Two families who were friends of my parents got into this back in the mid 90's. They all ended up losing money and dropped out a few years later. The father of the one family was so depressed he ended up turning to a Christian ministry instead! lol. True story.

Mike Gallo 08-07-2007 01:05 PM

In case people did not know, this is my real account.
Mike Gallo is the gimmick account, hence the worlds oldest gimmick.

tuq 08-07-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In case people did not know, this is my real account.
Mike Gallo is the gimmick account, hence the worlds oldest gimmick.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK now you're just being weird with this whole Gallo/Sanford stuff.

Anyway, I will point out one startling thing about the two meetings: the houses where they were held were easily $1M+ properties and the hosts were people who apparently had very successful careers previously - one was an attorney, the other a physician.

I still have yet to resolve in my head the dichotomy between how dumb it is to get involved in this and these very successful people who did and apparently succeeded. I mean, maybe they were lying about being successful with Quixtar, but you think if they were failing at it they'd just go back to their six figure jobs that they still worked part-time.

After the first one, the guy that invited me took me out to lunch a day or two later. He was "surprised" by my resistance and said that "everyone else had signed up already", and that I was "the only holdout". There were like twenty other people at the meeting, this was just such a bald-faced lie that I shut him down right there and ended the discussion.

tpir 08-07-2007 01:25 PM

From what I know about it, the people who make huge bank do so from selling the shiny packaging: seminars, tapes and books. Much bigger margins for those items and only the top of the pyramid gets to sell them.

Mike Gallo 08-07-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I will point out one startling thing about the two meetings: the houses where they were held were easily $1M+ properties and the hosts were people who apparently had very successful careers previously - one was an attorney, the other a physician.

I still have yet to resolve in my head the dichotomy between how dumb it is to get involved in this and these very successful people who did and apparently succeeded. I mean, maybe they were lying about being successful with Quixtar, but you think if they were failing at it they'd just go back to their six figure jobs that they still worked part-time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My "upline" explained to me that it would cost $200 to start. $25 for cd's books and seminars, $175 to become an IBO.

If I purchased $250 a month worth of my ordinary household supplies like energy drinks, detergent and the like, I would earn 4% of the total money spent.

The real trick is to duplicate. I would have to learn the system and teach it to someone.

I liked the belief that I need to surround myself with people sharper than myself.

Thanks for everyone's input.

heater 08-07-2007 01:34 PM

I worked for Alticor for ~18 months. I wasn't a distributor, I worked for the actual company. Being from that area and also having worked there, I probably know more Amway horror stories than most.

My advice would be to stay very far away from this type of business. The vast majority of distributors make nothing or next to nothing. Top distributors make more money on the sale of motivational/instructional materials to their downline than they do on actual Quixtar/Amway product sales.

Meh, I could go on and on for hours about what I know about Quixtar.