Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   what presidential candidates are best for stocks? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=460152)

r3vbr 07-25-2007 02:20 PM

Re: what presidential candidates are best for stocks?

that said, I think the market would react very well to Rudolph Giuliani

spider 07-25-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The one that doesn't want to continue to spend $7 or $8 billion per month keeping troops in Iraq on top of whatever you think is the monetary cost of lost lives & health, plus the value of the associated negative branding of the US internationally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's really had a killer effect on the stock market the last few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question is not whether stocks have done well, it's whether they would be doing better or worse w/o the Iraq invasion.

So what do you think? W/o the invasion would stocks be higher or lower than currently?

pig4bill 07-25-2007 09:56 PM

Moot point. Had a Dem won the election we wouldn't have gotten the tax breaks that stimulated the market and economy.

There's also no telling how many more attacks would have occurred if there were no war. They would certainly have had a demoralizing effect on the market and economy.

GoodCallYouWin 07-25-2007 10:29 PM

This guy :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_HuFtP8w8

GoodCallYouWin 07-25-2007 10:31 PM

"War is good for stocks and the economy."

Fallacy; war is good for weapons companies and bad for everyone else. If the governmnet build 10,000 cars and dropped them into the ocean, would that be good for the economy? That's what war does. Google broken window fallacy for more info.

jt082005 07-26-2007 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
War is good for stocks and the economy.

The US GDP grew an average of 25% each year during 1943-1945
Germany also. WWII actually lifted a recession

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree with the 1st part, but that WWII lifted the recession...I don't know about that. I know some people agree with that line of thought, but I saw interesting piece somewhere on the return to the free market after the war that did it

spider 07-26-2007 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moot point. Had a Dem won the election we wouldn't have gotten the tax breaks that stimulated the market and economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to say what the exact policy would have been. Note that Clinton signed the 1997 tax cut (TRA). Also very hard to attribute general economic performance solely to some tax cut or tax increase. Note for example that the 90s boom was preceded by (quite mild, despite the idiotic rhetoric) tax increases signed by Bush 1 & Clinton (OBRA91 & 93).

One thing we can say is that the tax increases of 91 & 93 were necessary because the Reagan tax cuts produced too large of a deficit/debt. Same thing with the current tax cuts -- debt will eventually get too high if we stick with current policies, so within a few years we'll have to either raise revenue or cut spending.

If you want to disagree with the last point, be sure to tell me why a Republican Congress & Republican President scheduled the tax cuts to expire after 2010.

ahnuld 07-26-2007 12:00 PM

Who would be the worst?

Hillary "fortress america" Clinton

hlacheen 07-26-2007 01:53 PM

Anyone who can get us out of the financial mess Bush and his band of idiots put us in.

Thremp 07-26-2007 02:17 PM

The President really has a very minor effect on what the markets do. Note Clinton and how the market did during his tenure... What did he do? Other than set-up a bubble?