Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Property and water rights? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=459206)

tomdemaine 07-24-2007 11:25 AM

Re: Property and water rights?

I hate it when they call this a privatization it's just the state giving a particular company the sole right to exploit people so that they don't have to suffer the bad publicity from doing it themselves. Licensing =/= privatization!

Richard Tanner 07-24-2007 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The great thing about the market is that, unlike democracy, minority opinions can still be catered to.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bold and italicize "can" then I think that's accurate.

Cody

tolbiny 07-24-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Rights to the integrity of your body, on the other hand, are generally thought of as absolute.

[/ QUOTE ]

If rights over your body are close to absolute, what about what I do with my body? Am I allowed to move my arms and legs as i wish?

tomdemaine 07-24-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The great thing about the market is that, unlike democracy, minority opinions can still be catered to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the implication that they cannot in a democracy?

Richard Tanner 07-24-2007 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the implication that they cannot in a democracy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a little less-then-happy leaving that, but I didn't want to butcher your words. Although it's at least partly accurate, the minority on a particular topic is asked (told) to bend to the will of the majority (withen limits set by law).

Cody

tomdemaine 07-24-2007 12:10 PM

They're not my words I was just asking for clarification. I realise we all sound alike [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mosdef 07-24-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you kill someone don't you lose the right of full ownership of your body?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what you're saying here. If you kill someone then you forfeit a leg?

tomdemaine 07-24-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what you're saying here. If you kill someone then you forfeit a leg?

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on your definition of absolute I guess. If you're in the middle of a killing spree I am morally justified in shooting you do you lose ownership of your leg? Probably not but can you be said to have absolute ownership of something that I am morally entitled to put a bullet in?

mosdef 07-24-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on your definition of absolute I guess. If you're in the middle of a killing spree I am morally justified in shooting you do you lose ownership of your leg? Probably not but can you be said to have absolute ownership of something that I am morally entitled to put a bullet in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you deriving your "moral entitlement" from to shoot somebody?

tomdemaine 07-24-2007 01:39 PM

Self defense which stems ironically from self ownership like I say I this is a problem of definition rather than disagreement