Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   New poster and does my strategy make any sense (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=457906)

Yossarian147 07-24-2007 03:26 AM

Re: New poster and does my strategy make any sense

Hilger's Internet Texas Hold Em has many problem hands to work through at the end of each section. I highly recommend it.

McNeese72 07-24-2007 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harv, Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely look it up. Since there are differencies between limit and no limit hold'em, would you suggest a reading order of some kind? So far I've acquired the following:

Theory of Poker
Little Green Book

I've ordered the following books:

Getting Started in Hold'em

A lot of people recommend Harrington on Hold'em I-III, but they seem to be no limit tournament books. I don't know if they are beneficial for me at this point, since my chosen game is a bit different. I do plan on playing no limit as well and getting myself into live games at some point, but as a starting point I'd like to focus on limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to focus on limit, the book in my avatar (SSH) is a must. Especially, if you are going to start at the nanolimits (or playing live in low stakes limit games).

I'd read them in this order. Getting Starting in Hold'em, then Small Stakes Hold'em, and then the Theory of Poker.

Then as you move up in limits the new book about winning in tough games would be good.

Doc

AmarilloFinn 07-24-2007 10:56 AM

I think my game plan is now set for the next few months at least. Oh, do you guys recommend any magazines? The Card Player seems like a big one, but I don't know if it's any good? Looking to subscribe.

Harv72b 07-24-2007 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my game plan is now set for the next few months at least. Oh, do you guys recommend any magazines? The Card Player seems like a big one, but I don't know if it's any good? Looking to subscribe.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only magazine I ever read was "Poker Pro", and that because I got a free subscription via Party's old VIP points system. It was entertaining to be sure, and nice to get little glimpses inside the lives (and minds) of some of the top pros, but as far as my own personal development & strategy advice it was basically worthless. I think that between the books you're looking to read, these forums, and the myriad of excellent free resources online (e-zines, blogs, etc), you really don't need to subscribe to a poker magazine unless it's for reasons similar to why you'd subscribe to something like People magazine.