Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   PokerBob is in "The Well" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=452949)

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:26 AM

Re: PokerBob is in \"The Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
1) You're sitting at a table with 9 other skilled, veteran 2+2ers playing limit hold em. Everyone plays either TAG or SLAG. What strategies would you use to beat the table?

2) I'm gotten pretty proficient at beating your average small stakes live limit game, but I'm struggling with the transition to live nl. In particular, hands that are very profitable for me in limit I'm finding pretty difficult to play in nl, like AQ/JJ. What do you think are the key differences in the games? How should your mindset different in a nl vs a fixed limit game?

[/ QUOTE ]

1.) To be honest, I'd just pick another game. I don't have an ego issue, and thus have no problem playing in a lower stakes game if my earn in that game is going to be greater. As far as what I would do in that game, I honestly can't answer that. So much depends on how the other guys are playing. If they are good, they are gonna loosen up and steal more because everyone else is playing TAG so they can open more but now someone may smell that and start 3betting light because he knows this prick is opening with a wider range and blahblahblah. I hate to say "it depends", but it really depends.

2.) I have only played about 50K hands of NL at really low stakes (.5/1.) I was a small winner, and can tell you that I have no idea how to play NL. I think my biggest issue was that I never folded. In limit, especially online, I don't fold top pair. In NL, you HAVE to. So, I guess the one thing I could tell you is, LEARN TO FOLD.

ProfessorBen 07-17-2007 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being a winner at 100-200+.

Edit: Becoming better than Schneids.(after seeing his post)

[/ QUOTE ]

live or online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live first.

I guess I should just flesh out the whole deal. I'm 21 years old, been playing LHE for a couple years, mainly live(20/40) and some online(2/4-5/10). I've been lurking the High/Mid Stakes Forums as long as I can remember and want to get where some of you guys are. I know it gets more and more difficult to move up in terms of bankroll requirements, toughness of opponents, increased variance, and etc. but it's a goal of mine.

I know I should just keep posting and talking about hands, reading books, playing hard, building the bankroll and etc. but any original advice on top of that would be great.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey PBob, enjoy all of your posts immensely: A few live ones for ya:

1. How long have you been playing Live?

2. What live limits did you start at?

3. What live limits do you currently play at?

4. What are your goals long term as far as playing poker goes?

5. Have you ever had a coach and of so who?

6. Do you believe in heavy petting on the first date?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I think I first went to Canterbury in the summer of 2003.

2. Played 2/4.

3. Typically 30/60.

4. I want to see how good I can get and make as much as I can. I would like to be able to know that if I ever had a job but then for some reason lost it, I'd be able to survive playing poker. It's not something I envision doing forever, but it is a nice insurance policy.

5. Never had any formal coaching, but I have been lucky enough to have become friends with some of the best limit players around. So I guess I get coached indirectly.

6. You ask if I "beleive in it", as if it were Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. I don't beleive in it as much as I hope for it.

Allday Everyday 07-17-2007 12:37 AM

Hi PokerBob. Thanks for doing this.

How are you going today?

How long have you been playing poker?

What poker games do you play besides limit hold 'em?

What limits do you currently play? Online. Live.

What is the highest limit you have played? Online. Live.

What is the largest pot you have ever won?

What are the biggest BB downswings you have had at each limit?

What are your stats in HUHU games?

You're UTG in a FR game at the limit you currently play. What is your range here?

What winrate do you believe is possible for online middle stakes online and high stakes live games today?

Who do you think are the best limit hold 'em players in the world? Online and live.

What to you think is the greatest piece of music of all time?

Who is your favourite intellectual figure of all time?

Who do you think is the most physically attractive person in the world?

What is your favourite pizza topping?

If you could be any other person in the world, who would it be?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

live or online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live first.

I guess I should just flesh out the whole deal. I'm 21 years old, been playing LHE for a couple years, mainly live(20/40) and some online(2/4-5/10). I've been lurking the High/Mid Stakes Forums as long as I can remember and want to get where some of you guys are. I know it gets more and more difficult to move up in terms of bankroll requirements, toughness of opponents, increased variance, and etc. but it's a goal of mine.

I know I should just keep posting and talking about hands, reading books, playing hard, building the bankroll and etc. but any original advice on top of that would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the biggest mistake I made was not spalshing around in bigger games earlier in my career. I just assumed that those guys were soooooo much better than me. I figured that if they played in big games, they must be good. Not true. How much money one has (not how much skill) is a big factor in determing what game one plays. That said, I think the online limit games are much tougher than they were 3-4 years ago, but good games can still be found. I'd recommend taking small shots (25-40bb) here and there at bigger games. Look at it as a learning experience. You may surpirse yourself and find that you are one of the better players in the game. Plus, you may run hot as well and then BANG, off you go. Good luck.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long have you consistently been playing live poker for AND what is the worst live downswing you have had in terms of BBs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been "pro" for a little over 2 years now. The majority of that was online, although I think I'd average about 10hrs/week of live play as well. Lately (the last 3-4 months) I have been playing almost all live. I just don't have it online any more. I am sure I will go back to it, but right now I am sick of it and thus don't play my best.

I think the worst live downswing I had was around 220BB, but I'm not sure. I know I lost 110BB in a session once. That sucked.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW your blog rocks

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks.

MitchL 07-17-2007 12:54 AM

How did you come up w/ your 2p2 sn?

PokerBob 07-17-2007 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How long have you been playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

about 4 years.

[ QUOTE ]
What poker games do you play besides limit hold 'em?

[/ QUOTE ]

none really.

[ QUOTE ]
What limits do you currently play? Online. Live.

[/ QUOTE ]

usually 30/60 or 100/200 live. i rarely play online any more. if i do, i'll play 3/6-10/20 at wpx, typically.

[ QUOTE ]

What is the largest pot you have ever won?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won a $4k pot last week in Vegas. I think that is likely the biggest.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the biggest BB downswings you have had at each limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know by limit, but live it was around 220bb and online I had one that was over 600bb.

[ QUOTE ]
What are your stats in HUHU games?

[/ QUOTE ]

no idea. i rarely play heads-up.

[ QUOTE ]
You're UTG in a FR game at the limit you currently play. What is your range here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably raise QJs+, 55+ and maybe some smaller hands like 76s if the game/situation is right.

[ QUOTE ]
What winrate do you believe is possible for online middle stakes online and high stakes live games today?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know about online any more. Live, I still think 1bb/hour is very attainable.

[ QUOTE ]
Who do you think are the best limit hold 'em players in the world? Online and live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Schneids is up there for both, and I know he respects the play of Hoss_TBF and Joe Cassidy, so they must be good. CMO is probably the best live player that I know of, but several of the MN players like BK, Kirby, Mike C. and Vehn can't be too far behind.

[ QUOTE ]
What to you think is the greatest piece of music of all time?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Who is your favourite intellectual figure of all time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I have one. I'm not too bright.

[ QUOTE ]
Who do you think is the most physically attractive person in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.movieeye.com/store/ima...ty-photo-a.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
What is your favourite pizza topping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on mood, but any combination of sausage, peperoni, mushrooms and onions.
[ QUOTE ]
If you could be any other person in the world, who would it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

schneids.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you come up w/ your 2p2 sn?

[/ QUOTE ]

4-5 years ago I played some $5 SNGs at some guy's apartment in Uptown. I did not know him (or how to play poker), but knew another guy going, so I tagged along. The following week, I wanted to know if there was going to be a game, so I got this guy's number and called him. While the phone was ringing, I realized that (a) I hardly know this guy and (b) my name is BOB, which is common and boring and he may have no idea who the [censored] I am. So when he answered, instead of saying "Hey, this is Bob. I played some SNGs at your place last week and sure had a good old time and would like to play again this week", I simply said, "This is PokerBob." He knew exactly who I was, and now I am saddled with this retarded nickname for the rest of my life.

PokerBob 07-17-2007 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that everyone is capable of getting to the point where they can beat big, tough games. I used to think that anyone could learn, but I think I may have been wrong. That said, I think finding other people who love poker that you can talk about hands/situations with is invaluable. I am a poker dork, and many of my friends are. This really has helped in my development as a player.

One thing that I think is mandatory for success in big games is self-control. I have heard so many descriptions of high-stakes players start with the phrase, "he plays super good when not on tilt...."