Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Shorthanded river spot (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=450026)

drbk2 07-13-2007 06:14 PM

Re: Shorthanded river spot

I would bet the turn, check the river. I think by checking the turn you leave yourself very vulnerable to getting outplayed as a lot of tougher players would put you on a hand that you have and test you with a bet.

That being said, I don't understand why goofball would check the turn here. If the board were not paired, I would understand checking behind with a hand like JhTx or some other broadway gutshot/flush draw combo, but not taking a shot here seems to be pretty bad.

Nate. 07-13-2007 06:32 PM

drbk2--

OK, so often this question is a passive-aggressive assertion that checking is better, but that's not the case here; I'm just curious. What would you do against a turn raise?

--Nate

Vehn 07-13-2007 08:04 PM

betting both turn and river for value is dumb

Justin A 07-13-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bugstud--

There was some beer around when I showed up but I didn't get a super-drunk vibe. I also thought Justin played very well (for the 35 or however many hands I played with him).

[/ QUOTE ]

Goofball was super super drunk fwiw. I was kinda drunk but playing very seriously because I wanted to bust this random guy who was talking [censored] all night and was the reason we were playing 20/40 in the first place instead of the 4/8 that the game originally was.

goofball 07-14-2007 12:54 AM

Wow, I only very vaguely remember this hand. I don't remember what I had or what the river action was.

drbk2 07-14-2007 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
drbk2--

OK, so often this question is a passive-aggressive assertion that checking is better, but that's not the case here; I'm just curious. What would you do against a turn raise?

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played against goofball, but I think a very good two plus twoer knowing he's up against another very good two plus twoer would make a fold to a turn raise here pretty standard. In my experience, the better two players are in a heads up pot, the more straightforward the hand is played.

goofball 07-15-2007 12:23 PM

what the hell happened? :-) I'm interested in the results more than anyone!

emerson 07-15-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Four-handed live 20-40.

Button is Goofball, who knows who I am on 2+2 and that Justin A is "always telling [me] [I'm] too aggro." But I've played too passively, if anything, in this session so far. (Rotating cast of opponents: a loose-passive guy, a looser-more-passive guy, Justin A, and Goofball.)

Goofball opens the button. (He's shown an ability to open-limp the cutoff, for whatever that's worth.) I threebet J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] out of the SB. BB calls and Goofball calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, BB folds, Goofball calls.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check-check.

River 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Bet or checkraise?

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really believe that he will call a bet on the river with a K high butsted draw, then bet. However, I think you have a better chance of getting a bet out of him by checking to induce a bluff.

I don't see the point of a check raise. What does the raise get that the call would not get? If you succeed in inducing a bluff you win the pot by calling. If he calls a river check raise you are probably beat.

Nate. 07-16-2007 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Four-handed live 20-40.

Button is Goofball, who knows who I am on 2+2 and that Justin A is "always telling [me] [I'm] too aggro." But I've played too passively, if anything, in this session so far. (Rotating cast of opponents: a loose-passive guy, a looser-more-passive guy, Justin A, and Goofball.)

Goofball opens the button. (He's shown an ability to open-limp the cutoff, for whatever that's worth.) I threebet J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] out of the SB. BB calls and Goofball calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, BB folds, Goofball calls.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check-check.

River 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Bet or checkraise?

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really believe that he will call a bet on the river with a K high butsted draw, then bet. However, I think you have a better chance of getting a bet out of him by checking to induce a bluff.

I don't see the point of a check raise. What does the raise get that the call would not get? If you succeed in inducing a bluff you win the pot by calling. If he calls a river check raise you are probably beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emerson--

My thinking was that he can beat two jacks roughly 1% of the time after he checks behind on the the turn. As for his calling the checkraise... it's shorthanded and he's skeptical of me. You never know.

--Nate

Nate. 07-16-2007 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what the hell happened? :-) I'm interested in the results more than anyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

***RESULTS***

I bet and Goofball called. I showed two jacks. Goofball messed around with his chips for a while. Justin A pre-emptively yelled at Goofball for being a jerk and slowrolling. Then both Justin and I realized he was just paying me off.

Looks like Goofball's holding has been lost to history.

--Nate