Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   CP: Impact of card room going into Forest Lake???? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=447181)

vhawk01 07-10-2007 02:42 PM

Re: CP: Impact of card room going into Forest Lake????

[ QUOTE ]
I welcome the competition and have enjoyed playing in the other rooms MN and Western Wisconsin have to offer. I also think as players mature and learn more about the game they want more of a challege than the no fold em variety of poker that Callerbury provides.

I know you want to play against loose players who call with hopeless hands but the last few times I have played 6/12 and 8/16 at Callerbury the cold calling and calling down with hopeless hands has reached new extremes. Even if you start with or flop a good hand you have to outlast all the chasers. So you basically wait to flop good hands/draws and hope they outlast the chasers. No bluffing, no raising to protect your hand(they call 2 and 3 bets cold), just hit a good hand and hope it survives at showdown.

You can have good nights playing this way but you can also have incredibly bad, frustrating nights when you miss big draws, get your big pairs cracked repeatedly and such.
I have found I like the moves and excitement of spread limit and no limit more because you can actually make moves, bluff and if people want to call with bad hands and draws they will risk a large portion of their stack to do so.

So I hope the new place has spread limit and I wish we could get real no limit in this state.

[/ QUOTE ]

God I love Canterbury. As a guy who plays probably 95% NL, I would be opposed to Canterbury getting NL games.

PorkchopDJG 07-10-2007 03:06 PM

Probably the reason you love it is because it is a nice change from your 95% of the time no-limit games.
I agree I find those Callerbury games fun and profitable sometimes when I'm in the mood for it and the facilities and staff are excellent there. A lot of people probably dream of finding LHE games as loose as Callerbury but sometimes it just becomes a frustrating grind and bore to play the same way all of the time hoping to only hit cards and have them hold up at showdown.

vhawk01 07-10-2007 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably the reason you love it is because it is a nice change from your 95% of the time no-limit games.
I agree I find those Callerbury games fun and profitable sometimes when I'm in the mood for it and the facilities and staff are excellent there. A lot of people probably dream of finding LHE games as loose as Callerbury but sometimes it just becomes a frustrating grind and bore to play the same way all of the time hoping to only hit cards and have them hold up at showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I grew up in Minneapolis and learned how to play at CP, and my dad is a regular in the 30 there, so I've got a reasonable amount of experience there. Its the greatest action ever for limit, although I havent played in LA. I know a lot of people get frustrated by the insanity, but I couldn't possibly be happier than when I'm in that 8/16 game.

PorkchopDJG 07-10-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think their low price point of $200 for real tournaments is over the threshold for a lot of players. Lots want to gain some live tournament experience but not at $200 a throw. They should be less interested in per table revenue on touraments and use them more to get fannies in the door as a loss leader.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% on the NL tournaments.
If you want to play in a better one go to GC Hinckley at 2PM on Saturdays. You get 10K chips and similiar structure to Callerbury's $230, 4K chip tourneys for only $170.

Hopefully the new Forest Lake Cardroom will have good tourneys and put pressure on Callerbury to change this.

Diana Ross Fan 07-10-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I welcome the competition and have enjoyed playing in the other rooms MN and Western Wisconsin have to offer. I also think as players mature and learn more about the game they want more of a challege than the no fold em variety of poker that Callerbury provides.

I know you want to play against loose players who call with hopeless hands but the last few times I have played 6/12 and 8/16 at Callerbury the cold calling and calling down with hopeless hands has reached new extremes. Even if you start with or flop a good hand you have to outlast all the chasers. So you basically wait to flop good hands/draws and hope they outlast the chasers. No bluffing, no raising to protect your hand(they call 2 and 3 bets cold), just hit a good hand and hope it survives at showdown.

You can have good nights playing this way but you can also have incredibly bad, frustrating nights when you miss big draws, get your big pairs cracked repeatedly and such.
I have found I like the moves and excitement of spread limit and no limit more because you can actually make moves, bluff and if people want to call with bad hands and draws they will risk a large portion of their stack to do so.

So I hope the new place has spread limit and I wish we could get real no limit in this state.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you described sounds like the best place to play lhe in the country. I hope it lasts for you.

vhawk01 07-10-2007 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you described sounds like the best place to play lhe in the country. I hope it lasts for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is.

PokerBob 07-10-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you clearly do not understand limit hold'em. and it appears you are not fond of dollars.

BigBuffet 07-10-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to play in a better one go to GC Hinckley at 2PM on Saturdays. You get 10K chips and similiar structure to Callerbury's $230, 4K chip tourneys for only $170.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's a wild tourny. Those country folk play it like its a one table SNG. If you aren't willing to call 2-3k in round 2 and higher, don't play. And if you hit the flop big, you can stack someone. It's like the Callerbury 8/16 with mega playchips.

And the great thing is you can show up at the last minute instead of two or so hours ahead like at CP on Wed.

Also, they are moving the poker room again soon. High stakes blackjack will go where poker is now.

Andy B 07-11-2007 01:22 AM

Canterbury's management does not want mixed games or no-limit games or spread-limit games. They fear that the live ones will go broke too fast, and they're probably right. They want limit hold'em and lots of it. They like spreading O/8 because it's an action game. Well, it's an action game in every room in the country except CP. Actually, the red-chip O/8 games usually have decent-to-great action, but that $4/8 game is death.

From what I understand, $6/12 stud/8 has been running on Fridays. It went last Friday, anyway.

I'm pretty sure that Canterbury goes to the legislature asking for more tables every year. They do it as part of their request for a racino, so the whole thing gets shot down.

BigBuffet 07-11-2007 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully the new Forest Lake Cardroom will have good tourneys and put pressure on Callerbury to change this.

[/ QUOTE ]

GCH is starting to put on better tournies. They have a big one coming the first week of August and if it sells well, they'll have it quarterly (plus their weekly Tues, Wed and Saturday tournies).

I'm sure the new room will have good events too. So it won't matter if CP improves their tournies.

As it is CP has to get flyers of competition tournies from CP players bringing them in. So they'll either copy other room's or keep the same structures they have now.

I don't think CP would care if they lose all their tourny business. I know their dealers would be happy. And tourny players will go to the places that put on the best structures, so no special allegiance to CP there.

And if the new room has spread limit, CP players who want that will have a closer place than GCH to go to, so there will be some CP customer loss in that area too.