Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Floating...is this ever a good idea? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=444734)

D.L.M. 07-06-2007 07:56 PM

Re: Floating...is this ever a good idea?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought floating was usually OOP?

Such as you being first to act in the hand and check/calling flop and firing turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a stop n go.

Roger Mainfield 07-06-2007 08:01 PM

Floating out of position sucks most of the time, you need serious history to bother with it. Floating is good in specific situations. You need a few things to be true. Villian should be fairly straightforward. Villian should c-bet a lot, and villian will usually check-fold turn if he has a missed overs type of hand. If villian is willing to crai with missed overs on the turn or anything like that then floating is a bad idea.

I don't like it at all at 50nl. People will call you with hands that they shouldn't too often.

oober 07-06-2007 11:27 PM

Floating works best on predictable opponents. And it's always best w/position. Look for the players that are unwilling to fire a 2nd barrel on a wiff. When they bet, they have it, when they don't, well take the pot.

It's especially easy when their CR% is extremely low...

Osprey 07-08-2007 01:16 AM

Isn't what you guys are referring to as floating out of position better known as the donkbet? As in "he checked to me, I made my $5 continuation bet, then he donked into me for $10 on the turn. I thought floating was in position

the_main 07-08-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Such as you being first to act in the hand and check/calling flop and firing turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a stop n go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's right. A stop n go is a tournament tactic outlined by fossilman, where you call preflop and shove the flop regardless of the cards. It's intended for shorter stacks to get a fold from your opponent when it is almost certain he would call your shove preflop. It's supposed to have more fold equity.

What melon outlined is a 'float'. And I think doing this out of position is almost never correct.

D.L.M. 07-08-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a stop n go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's right. A stop n go is a tournament tactic outlined by fossilman, where you call preflop and shove the flop regardless of the cards. It's intended for shorter stacks to get a fold from your opponent when it is almost certain he would call your shove preflop. It's supposed to have more fold equity.

What melon outlined is a 'float'. And I think doing this out of position is almost never correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

not main that is called a thingamabob or a whatsit. You are wrong.

the_main 07-08-2007 02:18 AM

I stand corrected.

mce86 07-08-2007 02:38 AM

No, this is not floating. Floating is when you call a bet in position with no hand or draw with the intention of taking it away on the turn. This is an easy play that many live players fall for since they bet every time they raise.

mce86 07-08-2007 02:48 AM

I call it that either way when Im talking about it. That way is harder online, but so easy live with reads IMO.

mce86 07-08-2007 02:52 AM

What Melon described is exactly what a float is. Calling in position with no pair or draw witht he intention of taking it down on the turn.