Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What are your comfort movies? Why? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=443388)

renodoc 07-05-2007 11:19 AM

Re: What are your comfort movies? Why?

Old Bogie-

To Have and Have not
Key Largo
Falcon

Blarg 07-05-2007 01:04 PM

Usually Alien, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, or Heat. All three are extremely good at what they do and it's easy to find additional things to love about them, from the acting to the design to way the movie is put together.

I used to regularly fall asleep to one of my Futurama CD's. Me and Futurama, we're old friends by now. I also love old Universal monster classics, like Frankenstein and The Wolf Man.

I think what all those above have in common is a generous attitude toward quality, if that's the right way to put it. They aren't stingy with it. I can watch them over and over because you can see that people weren't just punching the clock and cranking them out, cutting corners and not really thinking or caring. They really wanted their stuff to be good, and it shows. Even in casual little things. And it's fun to discover, after the millionth time you've seen something, that there's still some small detail of set design, acting, camera work, etc. that you hadn't noticed before, and that fits just exactly right. It makes watching again still have possibilities to be newly amused or, if you're interested enough in how films are made or could be made better, instructed.

Blarg 07-05-2007 01:10 PM

Oh, also, Love and Death used to be in my regular rotation many many years ago, and now that I have it on DVD, it will probably work its way into my regular "watch too much" rotation again.

diebitter 07-05-2007 03:05 PM

Ahhh, I forgot Love and Death. Yes, that's definitely a frequent watch.

I also forgot Singin in the Rain. I just love this movie. I could easily watch it every day.

You'll always find me saying 'Dignity, always Dignity' when I find myself in am undignified situation.

Mrs. Utah 07-05-2007 03:13 PM

Love and Death is a good one as is Jaws.

I also could watch the typical romantic chick flicks like Sleepless In Seattle and You've Got Mail over and over...and have.

Kimbell175113 07-05-2007 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heat

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't believe I forgot about that one. I've watched this more than any other film, probably. So many moments in acting greatness.

Full-Metall 07-05-2007 09:06 PM

Super Troopers and Office Space

Dan BRIGHT 07-05-2007 09:26 PM

ah man I havent seen O Brother Where Art Thou in years. Its tooooo funny and enjoyable. I'll have to watch it soon

Dominic 07-05-2007 09:50 PM

Casablanca
Moulin Rouge
Amelie
Local Hero
Stripes
The Man Who Would Be King

JackInDaCrak 07-05-2007 10:27 PM

The Big Lebowski, because everything about it is [censored] awesome.