Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Woman Changing Kid's Diaper in Restaurant (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=442828)

almostbusto 07-04-2007 01:57 PM

Re: Woman Changing Kid\'s Diaper in Restaurant

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing the general feelings about this are different based on whether or not you are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, can any sane adult justify doing that in public in front of people who are eating when it would be more convenient for all involved to take the process elsewhere.

punkass 07-04-2007 01:58 PM

Go to the fricking bathroom. geez. how is this even debatable?

i'd see the manager. that would ruin my meal.

bogey 07-04-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: Which PHO place? What street?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in the shopping complex on Washington and 11th. Theres a few Pho places there, and I don't know what the names of them are, but most of the time I go to the one that has a little deli/smoothie counter in the front and the restaurant through the back.

Los Feliz Slim 07-04-2007 02:00 PM

I have a 2 year old and am a rabid defender of my right to continue living my life. Changing your child at the table in the middle of the restaurant is totally unacceptable. I can't really see this ruining my meal unless there was [censored] all over the place or something, though.

Blarg 07-04-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing the general feelings about this are different based on whether or not you have kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big mistake, if so. The point isn't that people have to see diapers changing and smell it. That's natural. It's just that seeing and smelling that while you're trying to eat or keep your appetite is really, really bad.

I hope we're not yet at the point where we're so politically correct we can't say sh*t stinks anymore.

Blarg 07-04-2007 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tweety,
Yeah, park or beach, whatever I don't like it but I realize sometimes its necessary, but the middle of a restaurant at a table full of people!

Its not like there wasn't a restroom right there and I'm pretty sure she wasn't carrying around a bottle of Purell. Not to mention the restaurant prob doesn't bleach their tables after every customer.

Is this any sort of cultural anomaly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it's not a cultural thing. I grew up around Asians and ate in a million Asian restaurants -- heck, we used to own three of them ourselves. Still go out to Asian restaurants about three times a week. Never once saw this in any Asian restaurant.

I have seen this a couple of times in fast food joints, though, and once or twice in other family-type places(Shakeys, etc.).

lozen 07-04-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Parents changing babies' and toddlers' diapers in public is a fact of life. Babies need anywhere from 8 to 15 changes a day, so unless you plan on keeping your baby in your house around the clock, which is not good parenting, it is inevitable that you will have to change a diaper or two in a public place. People who have had kids understand this.

With that said, if I were in a restaurant I would almost certainly take my child to the restroom or possibly even out to the car if I drove there. I agree with you that it is pretty disgusting in a restaurant. But when I see it going on in the park or at the beach, I don't think anything of it.

Unless your parents really sucked, I can almost guarantee that you had many of your diapers change in the view of total strangers at one time or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant see many parents changing there kids diaper in the middle of a restaurant. Cant bring my dog in but change a diaper at the table.

szw 07-04-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tweety,
Yeah, park or beach, whatever I don't like it but I realize sometimes its necessary, but the middle of a restaurant at a table full of people!

Its not like there wasn't a restroom right there and I'm pretty sure she wasn't carrying around a bottle of Purell. Not to mention the restaurant prob doesn't bleach their tables after every customer.

Is this any sort of cultural anomaly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it's not a cultural thing. I grew up around Asians and ate in a million Asian restaurants -- heck, we used to own three of them ourselves. Still go out to Asian restaurants about three times a week. Never once saw this in any Asian restaurant.

I have seen this a couple of times in fast food joints, though, and once or twice in other family-type places(Shakeys, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah but nammers are dirtier than most asians

ardubz 07-04-2007 02:50 PM

This is so completely unreasonable that it almost feels OP is leveling. Pretty sure the safety/sanitation inspector would take issue with feces on/near an eating surface, not to mention general discomfort from onlookers.

mosdef 07-04-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is so completely unreasonable that it almost feels OP is leveling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Considering the degree of unreasonability from people I see everyday, the OP scenario is entirely feasible.

If this happened to me, there would be no way I was paying the bill. I would confront the owner immediately, and if they didn't do anything I would walk. Doing nothing is just too nice here, even for a Canadian.