Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Free market solution to spam (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=437500)

MidGe 06-28-2007 03:29 AM

Re: Free market solution to spam

[ QUOTE ]
What does government do that's so special that any voluntary institution can't?

[/ QUOTE ]
Protect the majority from bullies and gangsters. Enact and enforce the law.

[ QUOTE ]

Please, markets not doing very well =/= government solution is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't a market failure it was a gangsters victory because of the government failure to enforce its laws. More government is what is needed here, maybe less in other areas.

Phil153 06-28-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The free market is failing to prevent the scourge of spam, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, and it has failed for many years. Hopelessly and miserably.

[ QUOTE ]
The basic idea is to use an attention-bond mechanism to make it economically impossible to send spam. They've actually proved mathematically that it is possible for their solution to be *better* than a perfect spam filter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could someone please explain how this actually works in practice? Like everything you ACers post, it's worthless without specifics.

MidGe 06-28-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stopping "spam" is stopping free speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. This is a silly statement. YOU and every internet user is paying for spam. What you are suggesting is that in the name of free speech everyone should be obliged to pay for a subscription to, say, AC broadsheet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Brainwalter 06-28-2007 04:19 AM

Yeah it would suck to have to pay for things you didn't ask for. Good call, man I hate those ACists.

MidGe 06-28-2007 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it would suck to have to pay for things you didn't ask for. Good call, man I hate those ACists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the usefulness, to yourself or the community, of what you have to pay for, I guess. Spam is NOT useful.

GoodCallYouWin 06-28-2007 04:53 AM

1 cent postage stamp on e-mails, refunded if you email less than 1000 times a day.

MidGe 06-28-2007 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 cent postage stamp on e-mails, refunded if you email less than 1000 times a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not technologically possible since most spammers spoof sender addresses. Plus, I already pay my taxes very willingly. I wish the government would act on the spammers. If the government say they can't find them, get them give me a call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , but I would really doubt their abilities to ferret out terrorists.

The existing free market solution (Blue Security aka Blue Frog) was successful. It is simply the threat of the gangsters bringing down the net that prevented this free market solution from being effective. It could only be worse without a government, however incompetent or unwilling that government is. Bullies (aka gangsters) have absolutely no regards for governments, if they can get away with it, they are effectively one manifestation of "free" market forces at work.

Wiki - Blue Security/Frog

GoodCallYouWin 06-28-2007 06:08 AM

The government getting involved in the internet is just a plain bad idea.

Brainwalter 06-28-2007 06:11 AM

Don't you think a vast series of tubes needs to be regulated??

MidGe 06-28-2007 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The government getting involved in the internet is just a plain bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, to get after spammers has nothing to do with regulating the internet. Just confiscate the parasites bank accounts... Those parasites are truly extorting money from me and every net user without any legitimacy... Get them, that is a good idea... like many other government initiatives and responsibilities.