Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   DUI - A trip report (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=422771)

Edge34 06-08-2007 11:21 AM

Re: DUI - A trip report

[ QUOTE ]
He asked for it precisely because he knew he wouldn't get it, hoping that would leave him a loophole to exploit at trial.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem to me that when an officer testified that he asked them to the point of annoyance for a blood test and, when he was finally given the test, refused to take it, would be pretty damning. Obviously they can't prove anything then, leaving a minor loophole, but I can't say I would take very kindly to this guy making me waste my time on his drunk ass.

jba 06-08-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't get why you kept asking for a blood test if you knew you weren't going to get it & you were going to take it anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

the first person to mention the blood test was the cop saying he couldnt have one. OP thinks he knows his rights are that he can have one, so he thought this was a loophole to get off the hook.

jws43yale 06-08-2007 11:26 AM

Quick note, you should not even take the field test. You should say I will take any test until I consult with my lawyer. They will never let you call them at 2 AM and you won't have their home number anyway. You will sit in a jail cell for a night, DUI will be easy to defeat, and despite license suspensions being "mandatory" when you blow, a good lawyer will get you out of that too. They don't have any eveidence on you unless you were swerving, etc. so if it was just a BS stop, then it is only the cops word that he smelled alcohol.

danlux 06-08-2007 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quick note, you should not even take the field test. You should say I will take any test until I consult with my lawyer. They will never let you call them at 2 AM and you won't have their home number anyway. You will sit in a jail cell for a night, DUI will be easy to defeat, and despite license suspensions being "mandatory" when you blow, a good lawyer will get you out of that too. They don't have any eveidence on you unless you were swerving, etc. so if it was just a BS stop, then it is only the cops word that he smelled alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah that will work.

daveymck 06-08-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see why there's not a MANDATORY year-long suspension even for pled-down DUI cases. Legal loopholes FTW, I guess.

That and the penalty for a first time offender who blows over .08 is only 3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over here thats pretty much the law its very unusual not to lose your licence for a year minimum. All we have here though is the breathaliser at teh roadside and a refusal is counted the same as a positive test.

n.s. 06-08-2007 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Over here thats pretty much the law its very unusual not to lose your licence for a year minimum. All we have here though is the breathaliser at teh roadside and a refusal is counted the same as a positive test.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that UK drunk driving laws are really strict, and that you can be charged if you are drunk, have your car keys on you, and are walking towards your car. Is that true?

Tyler Durden 06-08-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is interesting. I don't know about the laws in my province, but what are the immediate consequences of blowing or taking the blood test, if you do test that you are above the legal limit? Far worse than what you got, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You live in a province?

BuckyK 06-08-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice try, but won't work. Asking for a lawyer before taking any form of test regarding DUI/DWI will constitute the drunkard as denying the test, thus getting you arrested anyway.
http://www.wisbar.org/res/capp/z1998/98-0915.htm

TomCollins 06-08-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice try, but won't work. Asking for a lawyer before taking any form of test regarding DUI/DWI will constitute the drunkard as denying the test, thus getting you arrested anyway.
http://www.wisbar.org/res/capp/z1998/98-0915.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting arrested is a lot different than being convicted.

findingneema 06-08-2007 05:45 PM

You won't be arrested for refusing a field sobriety test. Refusing the breathalyzer though will result in an arrest.