Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NHL Worst ever ratings on NBC (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=422380)

Triumph36 06-09-2007 02:25 PM

Re: NHL Worst ever ratings on NBC

[ QUOTE ]
They need to contract Florida, Columbus, Nashville and Atlanta at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you include columbus on this list shows you don't know what you're talking about.

contraction is impossible.

SBR 06-09-2007 03:01 PM

I agree with pretty much everything posted in the thread, but I think it's important to mention that the fact that the 2 teams were Ottawa and Anaheim has a lot to do with the low ratings.

Clarkmeister 06-09-2007 03:03 PM

The NHL needs to contract by like 4 teams. Expansion is bad.

mason55 06-09-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They need to contract Florida, Columbus, Nashville and Atlanta at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you include columbus on this list shows you don't know what you're talking about.

contraction is impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I'm not just a homer. The support for the Blue Jackets in the city of Columbus is huge. The organization is trying really hard to be competitive.

Triumph36 06-09-2007 04:10 PM

the benefits of contraction are very few compared to the extreme negatives.

and yes mason, if they didn't have a retard at general manager, the blue jackets might've had a playoff season by now. doug maclean is one of the dumbest men in all of hockey.

MyTurn2Raise 06-09-2007 05:53 PM

the best idea I think is for the NHL to play more of a role in funding ice arenas and youth hockey leagues. Hockey is a great sport. Actually, it's the sport I've had the best experience playing. However, in my area growing up (suburban Chicago), there were few opportunities to play and it was expensive. OTOH, I played in multiple baseball leagues, multiple basketball leagues, multiple soccer leagues, and youth football. All of those combined were cheaper than hockey. I didn't play organized hockey until my teens. The sport is great. I think all it takes is a generation of those playing it while growing up for it to become very, very popular.

Vyse 06-09-2007 06:19 PM

Yes, they do need more funding and youth leagues. I always wanted to play hockey SO BADLY growing up, but basketball was infinitely cheaper and I liked it just as much as I liekd hockey. Because it's hard to get the actual experience playing the game, the older you get, it loses your hold on you. I still like hockey, but it has diminished, and I don't feel like sifting through Versus to find games.

Triumph36 06-09-2007 06:29 PM

Hockey is so damn expensive to play that I just don't see this being viable - it would take years to materialize, and I just don't ever see hockey being a mainstream sport because of that.

What the NHL needs to do more of is encourage street hockey leagues, which are way cheaper.

MyTurn2Raise 06-09-2007 07:11 PM

but street hockey is so slow compared to ice hockey

NIX 06-09-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with pretty much everything posted in the thread, but I think it's important to mention that the fact that the 2 teams were Ottawa and Anaheim has a lot to do with the low ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]
I want to agree with this too, but sadly, I can't think of a team that may have national appeal in US other than Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and possibly the Rangers or Red Wings.