Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   War Against the Bots (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399238)

stigmata 05-09-2007 05:35 PM

Re: War Against the Bots

"sky is falling in" attitude not helpful IMO. Yes it's a problem, likely to worsten. But let's stay positive and pro-active please.

LeapFrog 05-09-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Game Over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If gaboonviper could just drag himself away from NVG there is plenty of fodder here for perhaps his greatest doomsday post ever.

BluffTHIS! 05-09-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I hate to be a chicken little voice, but this is not a stagnant situation.

This will ONLY GET WORSE.

Technology, software, computing power, AI and opponent modeling techniques are only advancing forward.

Bots will get better and better at more and more forms of poker, especially considering they have access to vast amounts of data (hand history databases, etc.)

Sites must get serious about combating the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The sites need a full-time effort devoted to the problem. AND players might have to consider other tactics themselves in harming the sites that sell and promote botting software.

LeapFrog 05-09-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I hate to be a chicken little voice, but this is not a stagnant situation.

This will ONLY GET WORSE.

Technology, software, computing power, AI and opponent modeling techniques are only advancing forward.

Bots will get better and better at more and more forms of poker, especially considering they have access to vast amounts of data (hand history databases, etc.)

Sites must get serious about combating the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The sites need a full-time effort devoted to the problem. AND players might have to consider other tactics themselves in harming the sites that sell and promote botting software.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying oil up the torches?

BluffTHIS! 05-09-2007 05:45 PM

LF,

Quit trolling this thread.

LeapFrog 05-09-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LF,

Quit trolling this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluff, you might be going a bit off the rails here. I was trying to point that out in a somewhat joking manner.

Exhibit a

[ QUOTE ]

3) Take it to the media.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grasshopp3r 05-09-2007 05:57 PM

I do not think that it is possible to eliminate bots through technical or software detection, as they use screen scrapers to get the game info. Once a program sends data to the screen, it is outside the realm of detection. The only way to eliminate bots is through criminal investigation techniques.

Not many of the bot users are sophisticated enough to create their own scraper programs that are essential for botting. If you can eliminate the sources of these programs, you will be able to take out most of the botters.

There are also other means of counterattack, which I will not disclose on a public forum, but I believe will effectively end botting on a large scale. Botters beware.

BluffTHIS! 05-09-2007 06:04 PM

LF,

I discussed the negatives of taking it to the media. But if you let the sites off the hook where they think the only negative repercussions can come from X% of 2+2'ers not playing there, then they won't have enough incentive to take effective measures. Going to the media is a last resort, and I'm actually more interested in getting some serious responses to screwing with the websites of the bot sellers/promoters.

MasterLJ 05-09-2007 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I do not think that it is possible to eliminate bots through technical or software detection, as they use screen scrapers to get the game info. Once a program sends data to the screen, it is outside the realm of detection. The only way to eliminate bots is through criminal investigation techniques.

Not many of the bot users are sophisticated enough to create their own scraper programs that are essential for botting. If you can eliminate the sources of these programs, you will be able to take out most of the botters.

There are also other means of counterattack, which I will not disclose on a public forum, but I believe will effectively end botting on a large scale. Botters beware.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have to be doing something to manipulate input. I've unsuccessfully tried to make bots for games like Battlefield 1942 and I had no clue how to invoke "user" input from a program.

Any technical minded people know how it's done?

Further more, how is it done in a way that cannot be easily detected?

Artsemis 05-09-2007 06:08 PM

The problem is the best bots aren't going to be published as they are basically priceless. This is targeting bots, yes, but it's targeting the weakest breed -- the average idiot that just downloads winholdem and tries to throw it together as a winning bot.