Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Racial poll about Barry Bonds (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=397975)

Bremen 05-08-2007 02:06 AM

Re: Racial poll about Barry Bonds

[ QUOTE ]
If anything I think it's reverse racism.

I think it's less white people hating Barry because he's black and more black people loving Barry because he's black.

[/ QUOTE ]Without a doubt.

Also Giants fans love him because he's a Giant (and my dad the Brooklyn fan despises him soley because he's a Giant)

MyTurn2Raise 05-08-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you would be naive to assume race doesn't have an effect in this debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think there would be that much disparity in a poll about McGwire?

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with this comparison is the disparity in the way they managed their public perceptions and that McGwire isn't going to surpass a cherished record (held by an african-american I might add)

can we draw some comparison with Sosa?

kyleb 05-08-2007 02:19 AM

Why people hate Barry Bonds will never make sense to me.

PITTM 05-08-2007 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry Bonds is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

super qft.

Clarkmeister 05-08-2007 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you would be naive to assume race doesn't have an effect in this debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with this comparison is the disparity in the way they managed their public perceptions and that McGwire isn't going to surpass a cherished record (held by an african-american I might add)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's actually critical to do a similar poll with Mark and Sammy. Let's not forget how few votes Mark got this year, and most of those voters are white.

ThaSaltCracka 05-08-2007 02:23 AM

Just so its out there, I am A HUGE Bonds fan.

MuresanForMVP 05-08-2007 02:38 AM

I don't even know why these [censored] race things come up. The home-run record is held by a black guy already, so why the [censored] would white people use that reason as to why they dont want Bonds to break the record?

SuperUberBob 05-08-2007 06:53 AM

The assumption of this poll is that race is a factor in why people like or dislike Barry Bonds. That isn't necessarily true.

But there are reasons far more convincing than just skin color to dislike Bonds.

UATrewqaz 05-08-2007 11:47 AM

Is the black community (if such a thing exists) capable of actually NOT supporting a high profile black individual?

I'd bet Mike Tyson still has a significantly higher favorability rating among blacks than whites.

I think it's sort of a "gotta stick together" mentality.

SL__72 05-08-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said McGwire because he was white... What would comparing him to Sosa prove?

My point was that I think the racial disparity in the Bonds poll is caused more by black people not wanting to call a black person a cheater then white people being racist. I could be wrong but I think if this poll was about McGwire, there would be less racial disparity in the results.