Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Study sees racial bias in calling fouls (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393586)

Colt McCoy 05-02-2007 02:22 PM

Re: Study sees racial bias in calling fouls

Even if this "study" was performed in a way that made sense, why is it not possible that black players just commit fouls at a higher rate?

Wynton 05-02-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it not poissible that black players just commit fouls at a higher rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they?

Colt McCoy 05-02-2007 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it not poissible that black players just commit fouls at a higher rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could think of any number of things to explain it starting with where many black athletes grew up and learned to play the game. It's just as plausible as racial bias by the refs.

teamdonkey 05-02-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All they did was look in the box scores, not a which ref called which foul, but whether the "crew" (already deemed either "white" or "black") called a foul?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Which ref called each foul isn't data anyone but the NBA keeps. It's why Stern is saying the NBA study is better, because they're working with better data. He also doesn't attempt to account for all the factors the other study does, and won't make his data available to the rest of us (allegedly because of the referee collective bargaining agreement).

Colt - you're really missing the point. The paper says white refs call more fouls on black players than black refs do, and vice versa for black refs.

JaredL 05-02-2007 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if this "study" was performed in a way that made sense, why is it not possible that black players just commit fouls at a higher rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that relevant to the study?

Colt McCoy 05-02-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Colt - you're really missing the point. The paper says white refs call more fouls on black players than black refs do, and vice versa for black refs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't miss the point at all. What the paper actually says is that they conducted a study that is meaningless. They didn't have good data and conducted a study in such a way that it doesn't tell you anything meaningful. They focus on white ref teams and then throw in that black ref teams also show a bias but to a lesser degree than white teams. It's very obvious they went in hoping to prove something that they can't prove.

As I said, I think it's entirely possible this racial bias exists. This study just doesn't prove it.

Max Raker 05-02-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
blatantly racist policies ... such as the dress code

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes that blatantly racist dress code.

Can you believe my employer has a similiar racist dress code? Monday I showed up wearing dirty overalls and a confederate flag cape, as a tribute to my Southern ancestors, and they sent me home!

They used some flimsy excuses about "looking professional" and "my image reflects on the companies image" but it was a load of crap. I saw right through those dirty racists.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you where as good at what you do as an NBA player is at basketball, you could probably wear whatever you wanted. I think they have earned the right to wear jeans and a throwback if they want to.

Colt McCoy 05-02-2007 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you where as good at what you do as an NBA player is at basketball, you could probably wear whatever you wanted. I think they have earned the right to wear jeans and a throwback if they want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, but that makes it a bad policy. It doesn't make the policy racist.

Max Raker 05-02-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think their motives could possibly be racist. Do you think a major reason they did this was a desire to get rid of a hip hop image?

Colt McCoy 05-02-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think their motives could possibly be racist. Do you think a major reason they did this was a desire to get rid of a hip hop image?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly but it still doesn't make it racist.