Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   St.Louis Cardinal Josh Hancock killed... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391142)

RunDownHouse 04-29-2007 02:21 PM

Re: St.Louis Cardinal Josh Hancock killed...

Man, hadn't heard anything about this from ESPN or ABC (NBA playoffs), got the news from Deadspin. Sad day, and I feel for his family.

Suigin406 04-29-2007 02:23 PM

Condolences to his family, terrible news...

Kevmath 04-29-2007 02:46 PM

Steve Bechler (Orioles pitcher) died during spring training in 2003 after using ephedra.

prohornblower 04-29-2007 03:34 PM

Damn, RIP dude. That totally sucks.

It's eerie looking at their roster and seeing him listed as "Status: Active".

BobOjedaFan 04-29-2007 05:02 PM

For the guy asking, there was a a young player for the Padres i think named Mike Darr who was killed recently. Died in a car accident and his death went kinda ignored. I remember wondering what happening till him until i found out like a season later.

I hate when stuff like this happens.

mason55 04-29-2007 05:16 PM

Cory Lidle as well.

zer0 04-30-2007 11:48 PM

----------
Hancock instead dined with a group of friends at Mike Shannon's Steaks and Seafood after Saturday's game and told the manager that he was headed to the Westin Hotel three blocks away.

"I personally called the police chief and told him everything I know about last night," said Pat Shannon, manager at the restaurant operated by her father, Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon.

Hancock, Pat Shannon said, declined an offer for a cab. Shannon declined to say if Hancock consumed alcohol at the restaurant, instead referring the question to police.
-------------

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/...71?OpenDocument

ruh roh, this could get ugly

RunDownHouse 05-01-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ruh roh, this could get ugly

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? I mean, I think its a bit weird he was driving home at just past midnight on a game night... but that's all. A bit strange, not unusual or worrisome.

What about this article would make you say "rut roh," like we do about Lidge's shattered psyche?

MicroBob 05-01-2007 04:08 AM

Is it not obvious?
Hancock declined an offer for a cab.
If he drove there himself and needed to decline an offer for a cab the implication that he had been drinking is clear. And evidently drinking enough where someone thought a cab for him might be appropriate.

If he had too much to drink and should not have been driving and the restaurant did nothing to stop him then some could lay some blame on them for this.

The fact that it's Mike Shannon's steakhouse where he got served potentially 'too much' but was allowed to drive himself anyway could be attention-grabbing too.

One of the Cards players told LaRussa that he couldn't do it tonight and he asked to be scratched.
Chances that he was one of the players who was at Shannon's steakhouse with Hancock and is riding a major guilt-trip for letting him take his own car out of there?

It's one thing to deal with a teammate's death like they did with Kile.
But dealing with the guilt of having had the opportunity to prevent that death (no matter how unrealistic) is going to be really tough on some of those guys.

ZBTHorton 05-01-2007 04:16 AM

I heard on ESPN they said that Hancock had told one of the guys at the bar that night that he was late for that game earlier this week because he was out all night drinking.

Sounds like some kind of depression/drinking combo.