Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Lets debunk some urban legends (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390487)

guids 04-28-2007 01:20 PM

Re: Lets debunk some urban legends

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"when i was in fiji i breathed through this thing where you could breathe through water [not possible]. I'm sorry, have you been to fiji? didnt think so."

A snorkel?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol sorry that was unclear, he meant some sort of snorkel styled apparatus that lets you breath while completely supmerged (including the 'snorkel')

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah...scuba equipment, makes a little more sense now.

oe39 04-28-2007 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Keeping your cellphone in your front pocket causes sterility in men.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of a half-truth that has been exaggerated extremely. Radiation is not healthy, and may in some cases lead to sterilisation.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are wrong

Alobar 04-28-2007 01:28 PM

www.snopes.com

Arnfinn Madsen 04-28-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of a half-truth that has been exaggerated extremely. Radiation is not healthy, and may in some cases lead to sterilisation.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am not, I actually know what I am talking about here since I have been asked about these questions in lots of meetings and discussed it with a lot of different experts to be able to give qualified answers. But it is a half-truth extremely exaggerated since we are subject to radiation constantly and a mobile phone in your front pocket sending a signal to the mast once in a while isn't a considerable addition. Chance of cancer with it in your pocket still > chance of cancer without it in your pocket.

guids 04-28-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am not, I actually know what I am talking about here since I have been asked about these questions in lots of meetings and discussed it with a lot of different experts to be able to give qualified answers. But it is a half-truth extremely exaggerated since we are subject to radiation constantly and a mobile phone in your front pocket sending a signal to the mast once in a while isn't a considerable addition. Chance of cancer with it in your pocket still > chance of cancer without it in your pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although we are constantly exploring the subject, currently there is no direct evidence linking cell phone use to brain cancer.

Arnfinn Madsen 04-28-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although we are constantly exploring the subject, currently there is no direct evidence linking cell phone use to brain cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there isn't, that's why I said extremely exaggerated. Anyway, if you want to be precautious the whole trick is to not lean the mobile phone on your ear, just a centimeter away and you are subject to much less radiation.

guids 04-28-2007 02:01 PM

heh...it was just a quote from Thank You For Smoking.

kipin 04-28-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
www.snopes.com

[/ QUOTE ]

MrFeelNothin 04-28-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"when i was in fiji i breathed through this thing where you could breathe through water [not possible]. I'm sorry, have you been to fiji? didnt think so."

A snorkel?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol sorry that was unclear, he meant some sort of snorkel styled apparatus that lets you breath while completely supmerged (including the 'snorkel')

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah...scuba equipment, makes a little more sense now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably Snuba.

Kimbell175113 04-28-2007 04:19 PM

Seriously, guys:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
www.snopes.com

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite: "Ring Around the Rosie" isn't now and never was about the black plague.