Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   *The Official Anarcho-Capitalism Debate and Discussion Thread. 4/27/07 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390129)

slickss 04-28-2007 12:13 AM

Re: *The Official Anarcho-Capitalism Debate and Discussion Thread. 4/2

[ QUOTE ]
Copyrights might exist, but I highly doubt patents would. (And I would hope that they wouldn't, since they are wholly unlibertarian.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting, as the patent system played a big part in America progressing from the technological backwater it was to the world leader it is today.

AlexM 04-28-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Copyrights might exist, but I highly doubt patents would. (And I would hope that they wouldn't, since they are wholly unlibertarian.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting, as the patent system played a big part in America progressing from the technological backwater it was to the world leader it is today.

[/ QUOTE ]

When, exactly, was the U.S. a technological backwater?

mmbt0ne 04-28-2007 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/union-g...ns-indians.jpg

Dane S 04-28-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that patents had anything to do with it? Is there another economy the size of America's that doesn't have patent protection that you can compare it to over the same time period?

AlexM 04-28-2007 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/union-g...ns-indians.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, but the U.S. is a country, and that ain't it.

slickss 04-28-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know that patents had anything to do with it? Is there another economy the size of America's that doesn't have patent protection that you can compare it to over the same time period?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am referring to colonial America in the late 18th century. At that time, Great Britain was considered the world leader in technology. Great Britain already had a patent system, but the British government failed to really enforce their laws.

Because the patent system made the conditions for inventions better in America than in Great Britain, it was a major factor in the technological shift from Britain to USA.

latefordinner 04-28-2007 02:24 AM

I can't see patents or copyright existing in any meaningful form in any anarchist society. I've been meaning to write a post about the similarities and differences between the elimination of IP and the elimination of property in general but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I agree that if your primary motive for innovation is profit, that IP is nec. for it to work. However, if you shift towards other motivations, IP laws start to hinder innovation strongly.

--

I'm also interested in hearing HMK or anyone expand upon the elimination of fiat currency as being the best first step to a market anarchist society.

slickss 04-28-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The technological willingness of USA was sluggish at first. A big reason for that were the natural resources and land available. Conditions were very different in Great Britain, who - for instance - were the first to create the steam engine and the first to use the railway.

[ QUOTE ]
Funny, but the U.S. is a country, and that ain't it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny, when I wrote America and you read USA. Not that it matters.

Nielsio 04-28-2007 04:59 AM

Can anyone give me a linky on a discussion on the reasons for this thread? I can't find anything about it either here or in ATF.

WillMagic 04-28-2007 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone give me a linky on a discussion on the reasons for this thread? I can't find anything about it either here or in ATF.

[/ QUOTE ]

basically jman thinks that AC is a ultra-right-wing fringe movement that should have a maximum of one thread on the main page of politics.