Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Does where you live matter to you? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=385684)

ahnuld 04-23-2007 09:28 AM

Re: Does where you live matter to you?

I could never live in a small town, would drive me nuts. I really love montreal in the spring and summer as it is am amazing city, but moving somewhere for the winter would be nice. So the weather is very important to me too.

kutuz_off 04-23-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i live in NYC. i moved here with my lady friend so she could complete a teaching program and i hate it (as i knew i would). yes, where i live is definitely important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be subject for another thread (or already covered elsewhere), but....WHY? I grew up in a tiny Russian village, and I absolutely love living in NYC now. So, answering OP, yes, it matters where I live. Mainly it's access to a lot of things (jobs, sports, cuisine, culture, russian community) without having to deal with long commute.

Arnfinn Madsen 04-23-2007 02:48 PM

It matters a lot. I have been some places where I would end up killing myself after being there a month. I think that you who say it doesn't matter haven't been to such places.

KJS 04-23-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 24, married, no kids. I live in Omaha, NE where I've lived all my life except for 4 years of college in Missouri. My wife's entire family lives here as does all of my family except for my brother. I can honestly say that I don't really care where I live. As long as the town has cable, internet, and my wife, I think I'd be happy as a clam. So does where you live matter to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

A few contradictions in your post. Seems you find it important that your family is around you have a history there, but then say you could live anywhere with just the Mrs.. I don't doubt that you are content where you are. Do doubt a bit you could live anywhere with the Mrs, cable, internet. Big big adjustment for someone rooted in one place.

Where I live does matter to me.

I am 37 and married, no kids never having them. Moved from Cleveland to Seattle at age 20 and never went home again. Never will. Love the family to death but I can't do cold winters. Don't see the point of it. Also, Cleveland rules for short periods but long-term I don't think it would excite me. So home is out.

Since getting hitched in 2002, the Mrs and I have lived in Seattle, Thailand, Seattle, London, Seattle. Basically, we have created and taken several opportunities to move around when we want. It is important for both of us that we are attracted to what a place has to offer. That includes everything from housing, job opportunities, social life, etc.. I can say that for me, there are certain things I will always demand if I am going to stay somewhere long-term: good food and good arts (music, theater, visual arts, film). I fully expect that to change as I age.

I am pretty certain that we will eventually live in some small town in Mexico/Panama/Thailand/Indonesia and just eat, drink cocktails and enjoy each others company. Until then we will stay in Seattle while I have a good job and probably go on another adventure if it goes away, re-settling most likely in Portland or, if another good job arises, somewhere else on the West Coast. Someplace we can still have access to the art, music, food, etc.. I listed above.

I will say re: friends that my life is certainly a high percentage better when I am around them. But the Mrs. and I are best friends and we always meet people when we travel. I have left my friends and come back numerous times, we will always be close. But they are more rooted in Seattle than me and I don't expect to stay here just to be around them. I might need a change some day.

KJS

z28dreams 04-23-2007 03:29 PM

Short answer: It matters a good bit, but not as much as the kind of people you keep around you.

My story is this: Grew up in chicago, went to U of I. After college worked for a small power company that I disliked.

On a whim moved to Colorado and did some contracting work for a year.

Eventually relocated to Northern Virginia (DC Metro) for a job, and am still here.

There is definitely a different feel to every area. Here in DC, people seem to be big status and money whores, much more so than in other states. I make decent money, but it still bothers me.

Over time, being away from your family wears on you as well. I don't see my brother and sisters nearly as often as I'd like - I'm usually flying home for Christmas, and then maybe 1 other time a year for a wedding or other random event.

Colorado was the most relaxed atmosphere - and even though I was practically unemployed out there, I loved it because my friends were so great.

I eventually plan on making my way back to chicago, but jobs and career are pretty much going to dictate when that happens.

-Z

KJS 04-23-2007 03:37 PM

I would also add that, IMO, someone who lives in one place their whole life is not maximizing their experience of life.

Life is too short to do the same things over and over. Extra points if you are able to live overseas where you have to adapt to a new language and culture. You will learn a ton about yourself and be much more empathetic to others as well once you understand that people approach life much differently depending on the culture they are brought up in.

KJS

Aloysius 04-23-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short answer: It matters a good bit, but not as much as the kind of people you keep around you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't just friends and family for me.

I'm Asian and prolly cause I'm a minority... but I just very much prefer multi-cultural / ethnic / cosmopolitan metros and cities. Not only for the food, though that's a big part of it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So this rules out alot of the US for me.

-Al

adsman 04-23-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also add that, IMO, someone who lives in one place their whole life is not maximizing their experience of life.

Life is too short to do the same things over and over. Extra points if you are able to live overseas where you have to adapt to a new language and culture. You will learn a ton about yourself and be much more empathetic to others as well once you understand that people approach life much differently depending on the culture they are brought up in.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice, totally agree.

Just want to add this as a few people have brought it up. About being far away from friends. I never worried about moving so far away from my friends. I knew that the real friends would stick with me, and they have. I also found that in the hustle and bustle of life, when I was living in the same city as my friends I saw them only rarely anyway. Now when we see each other it really means something.

Your Mom 04-23-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
friends are important. so is a job. I guess these are both not factors? I have trouble believing you only need those things you listed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone has a job that they have to go to a specific location for, and a lot of old people only have their spouse as a friend anyhow. Friends come, go, and can remain in contact via vast distances these days. Most of my friends live over 300 miles away, and that's fine. I still talk with them, and we still get to hang out once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. My good friends don't live in Omaha any longer. I have work friends that I hang out with now and my wife and I do hang out with our families a decent amount. My idea of a good time may be a lot different than most of you. I like chilling at home on the patio with a nice beverage with my wife. A Saturday during the fall consists of watching 12 hours of college football. I would miss Husker home games if I moved out of the state, but I'd still be able to fly in at least once a year for a big game.

Your Mom 04-23-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YM,

Where else have you lived? I am also curious how much you have travelled.

edit: I see you said you lived in MO, but was it small town (e.g. Columbia)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Springfield, MO. It was nice - I miss it at times - but I'm fine without it. I felt the same way about Omaha when I down there. I do like Kansas City a lot and I would be interested in living in Chicago for a while (esp. to go to Wrigley all summer).