Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   If my VPN connection goes down, what happens? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383883)

BiPolar_Nut 04-21-2007 09:40 PM

Re: If my VPN connection goes down, what happens?

Oops...for some reason I was thinking BBill was the OP. long day. Oh well...too late to edit the above post.

The routing change stuff still applies tho. Just because you manually add a route for 0.0.0.0, doesn't mean windoze itself won't change it on it's own to something else when there is a substantial change in network connectivity.

cbloom 04-21-2007 10:34 PM

So how do you prevent this?

BBill 04-22-2007 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how do you prevent this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I'm not sure - but if an occurrence of this sort will cost a lot of $$, it should be circumvented.

Some vpn clients have a check box to 'disable local lan access' maybe thats what this is for.

cbloom 04-22-2007 01:06 PM

I know Freakin has a solution but he doesn't want to share. I think it was something about setting your firewall so the only ports open are the ones the VPN uses.

goldtoes 04-22-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Freakin has a solution but he doesn't want to share. I think it was something about setting your firewall so the only ports open are the ones the VPN uses.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i was thinking - you would obviously have to have a machine or vm just for your VPN otherwise changing this setting would get really annoying.

Freakin 04-24-2007 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not telling people how to fix it, just telling them that it needs fixing.

Information ain't always free (but I'm not going to respond to a single PM from someone asking me how to fix it for money).

aflaba 04-25-2007 02:25 PM

Thanks all! And thanks BiPolar for your extremely funny (and informative) posts! I laughed through all of them. You should write a book about computers for laymen, it should be a block buster.

Regarding the VPN issue, I hoped the routing I had entered would fix it. But nooo. I know one way of fixing it though. Another poker player said he uses ZoneAlarm pro and has made some setting so that all traffic that is:
Any IP --- TO --- VPN IP
VPN IP --- TO --- Any IP
goes through as normal, while all other traffic is blocked.

This supposedly fixes the problem but he wasn't sure it was the most elegant solution. He says it seems to take a bit of CPU.

Do you guys think that looks like a good solution? Or do you know of a better one? Someone mentioned ports.

aflaba 08-10-2007 02:02 PM

My VPN provider says this will work in 100.00 percent of all cases:
route -p add 193.27.192.7 mask 255.255.255.255 198.168.1.1

Is he wrong?