Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   most famous 5 seconds of music ever? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=380187)

Dudd 04-16-2007 05:20 PM

Re: most famous 5 seconds of music ever?

On the topic of national anthems, Canada's has to be pretty easy to get, mostly because it opens with O Canada so any idiot should be able to figure it out.

Golden_Rhino 04-16-2007 05:20 PM

Layla by Clapton?

tomdemaine 04-16-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the opening to Beethoven's 5th

[/ QUOTE ]

Could work, but OP would have to define the rules more. Is it a simple "Do you recognize this song?" and a yes/no works... or is it "What is the name of the song / Who is the artist" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

More along the lines of what is this song ie name or artist or if it's "ba da ba ba ba I'm lovin it" then saying "that McDonalds thing" would count.

Scorpion 04-16-2007 05:22 PM

Happy birthday

nick604 04-16-2007 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Star spangled banner, and it's not even close. Americans = idiots that won't get any other anthem.... but a huge, huge % of North Americans/Europeans will get America's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You give us far too much credit - think the % of Brits getting this from the first 5 seconds would be very very low.

Something like Beethoven's 5th or Handel's Hallelujah Chorus would have a much higher recognition factor.

jmill2511 04-16-2007 05:24 PM

"Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd is what it should be.

GermanGuy 04-16-2007 05:24 PM

I guess recognized as "oh, I know that thing, but I don't know what it's from" is Beethoven's 5th.

If you include being able to name the title I would say some contemporary music is more likely. Your example is actually good, because it includes the title.

I would not say Star Spangled Banner because a lot of Europeans wouldn't be able to connect it to the correct country.

TonyDanza 04-16-2007 05:25 PM

If you play the first 5 seconds of Young American, a lot of people will turn around expect Hulk Hogan to walk out from behind a curtain.

bluef0x 04-16-2007 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
\
More along the lines of what is this song ie name or artist or if it's "ba da ba ba ba I'm lovin it" then saying "that McDonalds thing" would count.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't have faith in Americans naming Beethoven.

Star Spangled by a huge margin.

XXXNoahXXX 04-16-2007 05:25 PM

Smoke on the Water.