Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   BBV4Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Prof salaries (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377917)

Daddy Warbucks 04-13-2007 05:09 PM

Re: Prof salaries

SALARIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES !

yad 04-13-2007 05:38 PM

law school and business school and medical professors make more than science professors who make more than social science professors who make more than humanities profs. so your numbers are at the high end of the academic salary scale.

but in all cases i think it is fair to say that professors nearly always make much less money than other people of comparable education and level of accomplishment within their field. in the sciences, which is what i am familiar with, most make 1/3-1/2 of what they could outside of academia. tradeoff for this is obviously extroardinary freedom. but to say any prof has a huge salary is wrong IMO.

Woolygimp 04-13-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SALARIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES !

[/ QUOTE ]

SAALLLAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRIEEEEEE EEEEEESSSSSSSS

findingneema 04-14-2007 01:07 AM

Business school profs make way more because their options outside of academia pay way more. Same with law and medicine too. Then there's biology and chemistry. Someone with a Ph.D. in history can't get a high-roller job outside of academia, so they get paid less.

Passaman 04-14-2007 01:28 AM

I teach as an adjunct professor and the pay is sweet. A nice padding for my pastor's (small) salary of $48000.

For instance, I teach a U.S. History class in what's called the "Accelerated Degree" program....this program is for adults who started college but dropped out. They can enter the accelerated degree program and get their degree in two years. The curriculum is set in stone...they each have to take the same classes in order. I teach the U.S. History portion. Anyway, I teach 8 classes (once a week for 8 weeks), four hours per class, and get paid $5000. That's more than $600 per class, or more than $150 per hour. I teach four classes a year.

I'm obv not in the league of Canadian professors, but I'll take it.

iwantbooze 04-14-2007 01:40 AM

At the university I work at, most profs are on about $au150k + a loading of 20-40%. They also get a *very* heavily discounted car and other good perks. Of course, most of them are divorced alcoholics.

tboss888 04-14-2007 01:54 AM

Interestingly enough, a lot of the ivy league schools are less competitive in salary due to the prestige and competition in working there.

crazy canuck 04-14-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

gild, ive heard thru the grapevine that most of the undregrad profs at mcgill make between 85k-120k unless they are department heads whereas they make more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Profs or lecturers?

Finance profs in Canada start with around 110k. This goes up after tenure. Once you get tenure you can also add to it by consulting.

Also, keep in mind that U of T finance is fairly highly ranked and getting an academic position there is pretty damn hard.

It's not much higher in the US, unless you're looking at top schools, but most profs in the US only teach for 8 months.

doubLe a tom 04-14-2007 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My buddy goes to University of Toronto for a dual MBA/JD. Anyways, in Ontario professors legally have to publish their salaries. Here are a few of his profs so far and their
salaries:

Philipp Afèche (Operations) unknown

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? SOMEONE ALERT THE AUTHORITIES!

Vendal 04-14-2007 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My buddy goes to University of Toronto for a dual MBA/JD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty damn crazy. Where did he go for undergrad? and did he have a 4.0?