Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Best Fighting Game Series: Round 2 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377663)

sixfour 04-13-2007 07:03 PM

Re: Best Fighting Game Series: Round 2

Why is Tekken/SSB even close?

toss 04-13-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even then any good players will easily avoid ironman's setups.

[/ QUOTE ]

i still enjoy the mvc games, and i don't find them to be hopelessly broken. i don't like things to rapidly devolve into degeneracy vs anti-degeneracy though; it's more metagaming than gaming, and depending on ease of execution it can really harm the natural learning curve. i have simply had more fun playing mk though, and i think it is much more important in terms of impact. that's not because of gore either, they were the first to make a big splash on button layout, juggle systems, secret characters, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I was under the impression you thought MvC was a mash-fest-crapshoot. The comment about metagame is very true and I never thought about it that way.

I also enjoyed the MK series for the reasons you stated, but the fighting system just doesn't compare to anything by Capcom or SNK.

MattVanDam 04-13-2007 07:45 PM

X-Men COTA, that is all.

jah7_fsu1 04-13-2007 09:27 PM

VF not being here is sad considering almost all critics agree it is the best 3-D Fighting series of all-time.

Shadowrun 04-13-2007 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
VF not being here is sad considering almost all critics agree it is the best 3-D Fighting series of all-time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is considered the first polygon-based fighting game. I doubt you can find proof that "almost all critics" consider it the best fighting series.

Kumubou 04-13-2007 11:41 PM

Heh, running a search through metacritic puts the #1 fighting game to be the original Soul Calibur, at #3 overall.

The list out of the top 200 (fighters on consoles in America only, and this is almost certainly missing anything before the start of the Internet, so absolute nothing before the PSX):

3) Soul Calibur
21) Tekken 3
50) Virtua Fighter 4
70) Street Fighter Alpha 3
86) Soul Calibur 2
88) Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
112) Super Smash Bros. Meele
200) Dead or Alie 2: Hardcore

That's kind of a funny list. :3

SBR 04-14-2007 12:11 AM

These were all easy except for MK/VS. where I picked the inferior MK as a sentimental choice it was the first video game I got really good at.

SF
MK
SSB
SC

jah7_fsu1 04-14-2007 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you can find proof that "almost all critics" consider it the best fighting series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the words I used...I never said I could find proof most critics would consider it the best fighting series (most would give that to Street Fighter for what it has accomplished), I said most critics say it is the best 3-D fighting series of all-time. And finding proof of that is not hard.

SharpObject 04-14-2007 01:30 AM

SF2
MvC
SSB
SC

Shadowrun 04-14-2007 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you can find proof that "almost all critics" consider it the best fighting series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the words I used...I never said I could find proof most critics would consider it the best fighting series (most would give that to Street Fighter for what it has accomplished), I said most critics say it is the best 3-D fighting series of all-time. And finding proof of that is not hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, waiting.